Optics - For what distance must we focus our eyes to see this image

In summary: No questions!In summary, an object is placed 1m in front of a plane mirror. An observer stands 3m behind the object. For what distance must the observer focus his eyes in order to see the image of the object?5 metres.
Kathi201
An object is placed 1m in front of a plane mirror. An observer stands 3m behind the object. For what distance must the observer focus his eyes in order to see the image of the object?

Physics news on Phys.org

5 metres? Was that all there is to the question?

Yeah that is all the question was. How did you figure that out?

Kathi201 said:
An object is placed 1m in front of a plane mirror. An observer stands 3m behind the object. For what distance must the observer focus his eyes in order to see the image of the object?

Hi Kathi!

Hint: for a plane mirror, where is the image in relation to the object? :smile:

(Hi Mentallic: please don't give out answers! :wink:)

Do you mean that it is in an angle? I am not quite sure of the answer you are looking for

Kathi201 said:
Do you mean that it is in an angle? I am not quite sure of the answer you are looking for

Mirrors are like lenses … every object has an image.

For a plane mirror, where is the image of an object? :smile:

The image is located in front of the mirror. Isn't the image distance equal to the object distance. Thus it would be 3m

Ok so now that I am thinking about, is the image behind the mirror or in front. I am starting to think it is behind?

Kathi201 said:
Ok so now that I am thinking about, is the image behind the mirror or in front. I am starting to think it is behind?

Yup, the image is definitely behind the mirror! :biggrin:

(It's a virtual image: the rays of light "from" it don't actually get anywhere near it, do they? :smile:)

Sooo … how far away from the observer is the image of that object she's standing behind?​

The object is 1m away and the person is 3m away so it would be 3m +1m + the 1m behind the mirror so it would be 5m.

That's it!

Any questions? :smile:

1. What is the concept of focusing in optics?

The concept of focusing in optics refers to the adjustment of our eyes or a lens to produce a clear image. This is achieved by changing the distance between the object and the lens or the lens and the retina of the eye.

2. How does the distance impact our ability to see an image?

The distance between the object and the lens or the lens and the retina of the eye determines the amount of light that enters the eye and is focused onto the retina. This affects the clarity and sharpness of the image we see.

3. Why do we need to focus our eyes at a specific distance to see an image?

Our eyes are designed to focus at a specific distance, known as the focal length, in order to produce a clear image. This ensures that the light from the object is properly focused onto the retina, allowing us to see the image in detail.

4. How do we determine the distance at which we need to focus our eyes to see an image?

The distance at which we need to focus our eyes to see an image depends on the characteristics of the lens and the object. It can be calculated using the lens equation, which takes into account the focal length of the lens and the distance between the object and the lens.

5. Is there a specific distance that works for everyone when focusing our eyes to see an image?

No, the distance at which we need to focus our eyes to see an image can vary from person to person. This is because factors such as the shape and size of our eyes, as well as our visual acuity, can affect our ability to focus at a certain distance.