1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Optics Program or Physics Program (w/ optics concentration)

1. Mar 28, 2017 #1
    My main goal is optics. I love it. I did an internship having to study and learn about optics and I've had my sights set on it sense then. It's also easier for me to learn. I've applied to graduate schools, but I need to know:

Are there any advantages or disadvantages of going to an optics program rather than working towards a PhD in physics with a concentration in AMO.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2017 #2
    With optics, you mean quantum optics and not classical optics, right? Because they're doing quantum optics in AMO, which isn't really that related to the classical optics used in optical engineering or metrology.

4. Mar 28, 2017 #3
    My PhD is in AMO Physics. The PhD in Physics as opened a lot of doors that a degree in Optics might not have. The optics job market is much narrower. A degree in Physics gives more options if you need to live in a place without many optics jobs or during downturns in demand for optics degrees.

5. Mar 28, 2017 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It depends on what you mean by 'optics'- it's a broad field. My training is Physics with a concentration in optics, which provided me a sound foundation. If you want to do something specific- say, design lighting systems, you may be better off specializing earlier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted