1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics question - Don't know if anyone can help

Tags:
  1. Aug 30, 2014 #1
    I've attached a screenshot of the question, and I have to admit I'm really struggling. I don't know if anyone will be able to help as optics is very diagram-dependent, but perhaps you can give me a hint without needing to draw anything.

I'm stuck on (ii) a)

The first thing I did was use Snell's law to give sin(α)=n sin(β), and that's about as far as I've got in progress. I realise I need to get sin(β) in terms of θ, but nothing I seem to do can get me the answer. Do I need to consider the angle γ as well? I know that n sinγ≈ 1, but I'm just adding another variable to the problem!

(I have an exam soon, hence the sudden influx of questions)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello.

See if you can use just geometry to relate the angles β, γ, and θ.

Hint: It might be helpful to draw an auxiliary vertical line through the point where the ray strikes the wall of the cone.

4. Aug 30, 2014 #3
    Of course!! I put the line in every other place but there. Thanks for the help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted