1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimum (min/max) of a symmetric function

1. Mar 13, 2009 #1
    Hi all,
    I'm wondering if the following argument is right:

"The optimum (minimum/maximum) value of a symmetric function f(x_1,x_2,...,x_n) (By 'symmetric' I mean that f remains same if we alter any x_i's with x_j's), if exists, should be at the point x_1=x_2=...=x_n".

Please help me by proving (or disproving, i.e, a counter example) this argument. I have examine some well-known symmetric functions and these obey the rules. However, a general proof (or reference to literature, document etc.) is needed.

[I think this may be right, in the sense that the graph of the function (in n+1 dimensional space) should be symmetric about all axes, so if f has optimum at x_1=a, by the symmetry of the curve, x_2=...=x_n=a.]

Regards,
    NaturePaper

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2009 #2
    I assume that you mean that the optimum, if it exists, should be unique. Say it is some point [tex](a_1,\ldots,a_n)[/tex], but then [tex]a_1=\ldots=a_n[/tex], because otherwise one could interchange two coordinates to obtain another optimum.

4. Mar 14, 2009 #3
    @yyat,
    Oh..., Let us consider the global optimum (min/max) for f. For convex f, it is known that every local optimum is the global optimum. However, I don't know whether f is convex or not. But I think the following discussion is right:

Let f has a global optimum (by definition, it is unique). Then the set of points where f attains it should contain the point x_1=x_2=...=x_n= some constant, by your argument.

Am I right?

Regards
    NaturePaper

5. Mar 14, 2009 #4
    By uniqueness I meant that the optimum is only achieved at a single point, otherwise the argument becomes false. For example, consider the function on R^2 that is mostly 0 but has two http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_function" [Broken] at (1,0) and (0,1) that are mirror images of themselves with respect to the diagonal (x_1=x_2). Then the function has two global maxima, but none of them on the diagonal.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Mar 17, 2009 #5
    Anyway, if I restrict f to be symmetric, even function [i.e. f(-X)=f(X)], any number of time differentiable, then is it possible to make any comment about its global optimum?
    At least, is f convex etc...?

Actually, my function f is like f=[g(x_1,x-2,...,x_n)]^2, where g is symmetric, bounded and any time differentiable. Is it possible to comment about the convexity of f etc?

Regards,
    NaturePaper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook