Orbital Period of satellite in terms of v and r

In summary: So in this case, you have a known distance and a known speed, so you can solve for time with just those two variables. Hope that helps!In summary, the orbital period T of a satellite in a circular orbit of radius r and velocity v can be calculated using the equation T = (2∏r) / v. This can be derived by recognizing that the distance traveled in one revolution is equal to the circumference of the orbit, and using the formula T = d / v. It is not necessary to use the centripetal acceleration equation in this case.
Cloud 9

Homework Statement

"A satellite orbits the Earth in a circular orbit of radius r. If the orbital speed of the satellite is v, what is the orbital period T of the satellite in terms of v and r? You must explain how you derive the expression for the period."

Homework Equations

Speed = distance/time
a = v2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Distance for 1 revolution of a circle is equal to the circumference. So distance = 2(pi)r
Time to travel 1 revolution = period T

So velocity = speed = 2(pi)r/T

a = v2/r

a = 2(pi)r/T * 1/T

a = 2(pi)r / T2

At this point I would solve for T, but I am not sure if this is valid, what I'm doing? I don't think we are supposed to have an acceleration in there, so I was wondering if there is another equation I could use that relates v and r. Btw this is not graded, it's just a sample test (that we're not turning in) to help us for the real test (on Tuesday). Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you even need to bother with the centripetal acceleration equation.

If we have an orbital radius of r, this gives an orbital path distance of 2∏r

T = d / v ---> T = (2∏r) / v

If you know the distance per revolution, and you know the velocity, surely you can compute the time of one revolution.

bossman27 said:
I don't think you even need to bother with the centripetal acceleration equation.

If we have an orbital radius of r, this gives an orbital path distance of 2∏r

T = d / v ---> T = (2∏r) / v

Oh thanks, so I could have stopped there and solved for T. I guess I made it too complicated. So that answers the question right?

Cloud 9 said:
Oh thanks, so I could have stopped there and solved for T. I guess I made it too complicated. So that answers the question right?

Yup, in general you want to use the least amount of extra variables/equations possible.

1. What is the equation for calculating the orbital period of a satellite in terms of its velocity and distance from the center of the Earth?

The equation for calculating the orbital period of a satellite is T = 2π(r/v), where T is the orbital period, r is the distance from the center of the Earth, and v is the velocity of the satellite.

2. How does the velocity of a satellite affect its orbital period?

The velocity of a satellite has a direct impact on its orbital period. The higher the velocity, the shorter the orbital period will be. This is because a faster-moving satellite covers a larger distance in a shorter amount of time, resulting in a shorter orbital period.

3. Can the orbital period of a satellite be changed by altering its distance from the center of the Earth?

Yes, the orbital period of a satellite can be changed by altering its distance from the center of the Earth. As the distance increases, the orbital period also increases, and vice versa. This is due to the inverse relationship between distance and orbital period in the equation T = 2π(r/v).

4. How is the orbital period of a satellite affected by the mass of the Earth?

The mass of the Earth does not have a significant effect on the orbital period of a satellite. This is because the mass of the satellite is much smaller compared to the mass of the Earth, so it does not significantly affect the gravitational force between the two bodies.

5. Can the orbital period of a satellite be calculated using other variables besides velocity and distance?

Yes, the orbital period of a satellite can also be calculated using the semi-major axis and the gravitational constant. The equation for this is T = 2π√(a^3/GM), where a is the semi-major axis and M is the mass of the Earth. However, the velocity and distance method is more commonly used as it is simpler and more practical.