1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orbitals around the nucleus problem

1. Aug 13, 2007 #1
    Rsepected sir
    Please read my doubts in the attachment and kindly answer it.
    Thankyou.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2007 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

From your first question:

Why do you believe that? It is not true. If you are thinking of the Bohr-Sommerfeld model in which electrons travel in classical planet-like circular or elliptical orbits, that model has not been considered valid for about eighty years now. It was superseded by the quantum mechanics of Schrödinger, Heisenberg, et al.

The probability per unit volume for finding a 1s electron (in a hydrogen atom) at a given location is given by the square of the wave function [itex]\psi[/itex] for n = 1, as given near the bottom of this page:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/hydwf.html

Notice that this function has its maximum value at r = 0!

4. Aug 13, 2007 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Aug 13, 2007 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

It depends on which probability you're talking about. The probability per unit of volume is given by [itex]|\psi|^2[/itex] which for the 1s orbital is maximum at r = 0, but the probability per unit of radius goes like [itex]r^2|\psi|^2[/itex] which goes to zero as r goes to zero.

If a particle is equally likely to be found anywhere within the volume of a sphere (uniform [itex]|\psi|^2[/itex]), it is less likely to have a small r than a large r, because (loosely speaking) there are fewer points with small r than with large r. I consider this variation to be purely a geometrical artifact.

6. Aug 14, 2007 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that is very counterintuitive. When I read 'probability per unit volume' I immediately think it is the probability of finding a certain electron within a volume element (thin shell) centered on the nucleus and a function of r and r + dr and, of course, that probability is per unit of radius and has a maximum value at [TEX]r=a_0[/TEX].

7. Aug 14, 2007 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

ignore this one.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?