The volume of the nucleus to the volume of the electron

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding the ratio between the volume of the nucleus and the electron for a hydrogen atom using previous equations. The classical electron radius and the equation for the nucleus radius are mentioned, but it is noted that the electron is not generally considered to have a size. The validity of the equation for small atoms like hydrogen and alternative approaches to the problem are also questioned.
patric44
Homework Statement
i'am trying to find the volume of the nucleus to the volume of the electron (for hydrogen )
Relevant Equations
R = R. A^1/3 the radius of the nucleus
re = 2.8 * 10^-15 m
i'am trying to find the ratio between the volume of the nucleus for the hydrogen atom to its electron , but when i try to use the previous equations it seems wrong as i'am getting a low number like if the electron is bigger .
i used the the classical electron radius as it was the only thing that i could find :

and the radius of the nucleus is obtained from the equation:
R = Ro A1/3 and as Ro = 1.2 * 10-15 m

now the radius of the electron is bigger ?!
is this equation not valid for small atoms like hydrogen ?
is there any other approach for the problem ?

Physics news on Phys.org
patric44 said:
Problem Statement: i'am trying to find the volume of the nucleus to the volume of the electron (for hydrogen )
Relevant Equations: R = R. A^1/3 the radius of the nucleus
re = 2.8 * 10^-15 m

i'am trying to find the ratio between the volume of the nucleus for the hydrogen atom to its electron , but when i try to use the previous equations it seems wrong as i'am getting a low number like if the electron is bigger .
i used the the classical electron radius as it was the only thing that i could find :
View attachment 245461
and the radius of the nucleus is obtained from the equation:
R = Ro A1/3 and as Ro = 1.2 * 10-15 m

now the radius of the electron is bigger ?!
is this equation not valid for small atoms like hydrogen ?
is there any other approach for the problem ?
They're not really comparable. The electron is not generally considered to have a size. The radius given by that formula is just useful for some purposes.
See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_electron_radius.
By the way, I see slightly larger values given for the H nucleus radius, more like 1.75.10-15m.

1. What is the volume of the nucleus compared to the volume of the electron?

The volume of the nucleus is much smaller than the volume of the electron. The nucleus, which contains protons and neutrons, is estimated to be about 100,000 times smaller than the electron.

2. Why is the nucleus so much smaller than the electron?

The nucleus is much smaller than the electron because it is densely packed with positively charged protons and neutral neutrons, while the electron is a relatively small, negatively charged particle. This difference in size is due to the fundamental forces and laws of physics that govern the structure of atoms.

3. How does the volume of the nucleus affect the overall size of an atom?

The volume of the nucleus has a significant impact on the overall size of an atom. Since the nucleus is much smaller than the electron, the majority of an atom's volume is actually empty space. This means that even though atoms appear to be solid, they are mostly made up of empty space.

4. Can the volume of the nucleus change?

The volume of the nucleus is fixed and does not change. The only way for the volume of the nucleus to change would be through nuclear processes, such as fusion or fission, which involve changing the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus.

5. How is the volume of the nucleus related to an element's atomic number?

There is a direct relationship between the volume of the nucleus and an element's atomic number. As the atomic number increases, so does the number of protons in the nucleus, resulting in a larger nucleus. This is why elements with higher atomic numbers tend to have larger atoms overall.