Order of a differential equation: why is it 2 in y′′ − 3y′ + 2y = 0?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Dr Game
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Degrees
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Dr Game
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
I was taking notes in class and the prof said that in the equation

[tex]y^(double prime)-3y^(prime)+2y = 0[/tex] that 2 was the order.. is that due to the following?

the first y = 0 when you take the derivative twice
the second y = 0 when you derive it once
and the first one = 2 when you derive it once

Just a question.. shouldn't I derive the first one 3 time, and the second one 2 times, because you derive 2y once?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The order of a differential equation is defined as the highest derivative that the equation contains.

Dr Game said:
I was taking notes in class and the prof said that in the equation

[tex]y^(double prime)-3y^(prime)+2y = 0[/tex]
Let's rewrite this as [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}-3\frac{dy}{dx}+2y=0[/tex]

Now, since the highest derivative in this equation is [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}[/tex] the equation is a second order differential equation.

the first y = 0 when you take the derivative twice
the second y = 0 when you derive it once
and the first one = 2 when you derive it once

Just a question.. shouldn't I derive the first one 3 time, and the second one 2 times, because you derive 2y once?

I'm not really sure what you're doing here!
 
the following is an attachment of my notes:

I don't get why the order is 2 and not -3
 
Attachments
  • img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 491
Dr Game said:
the following is an attachment of my notes:

I don't get why the order is 2 and not -3

Well, read my above post!


cristo said:
The order of a differential equation is defined as the highest derivative that the equation contains.


Let's rewrite this as [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}-3\frac{dy}{dx}+2y=0[/tex]

Now, since the highest derivative in this equation is [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}[/tex] the equation is a second order differential equation.

Why do you think that the order is -3? The only way I can see you getting this is by looking at the coefficient in front of the y' term, and I'm not sure why you're doing that!
 
think about it like the degree of a polynomial.
 
you know what... I thought it was the number that comes out after you derive it a few times.. not how many times you derive it

i get it now, thanks