Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Order of error for rational approximation of irrationals

1. Mar 12, 2012 #1
    Hi, I have to approximate an irrational number x by rationals r = p/q.

Let ε>0 in ℝ, then, for almost all x exist α and r in (x-ε,x+ε) such that q ≈ c(x) ε^-α, c(x) in ℝ?

I know, from Hurwitz theorem (and a conseguence) that α>2, if exists.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm confused. What exactly are you asking? You have a question mark there, but no real question. One interpretation of what you could be asking is answered immediately by Hurwitz's theorem.

4. Mar 13, 2012 #3
    I'll try to be more precise...

Let x be an irrational, let ε>0,

Let q = inf_A q'

Where A = {r rational | r=p/q', |x-r|<ε}.

For small ε, I wanna know if there exist an estimate (not an inequality) for almost all x of q(ε)

I know, from Hurwitz theorem that:

q(ε)<1/sqrt{5} ε^{-2}

I know, also that:

q(ε) ≈ ε^{-2} (order minus 2)

only for a countable set (measure = 0).

It is possible that exist α in ℝ such that:

q(ε) =c(x) ε^{-α} + o( ε^{-α}) for almost all x, c(x)>0 ?

5. Mar 13, 2012 #4
    Widening the question a little... is there any reason why continued fractions cannot be used? They'd give the best rational approximation for the smallest denominator, and the error bounds are well defined.

6. Mar 13, 2012 #5
    Yes, there is a reason, I have to do only a theoretical analysis (not a real estimate of numerical error), so the word "error" have a restricted validity in this thread.

There are "different degrees" of irrational numbers? What is the distribution of the α's? Is it concentrate around a single value?

I need this for an argument on Hamiltonian systems, I cannot say more...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook