Order of magnitude of Grating Spacing

In summary, the question is asking for the order of magnitude of grating spacing needed to observe microwaves with a wavelength of 3 cm. The equation nλ = d sinθ can be used to calculate the spacing, but since there is no given angle, it cannot be solved. A possible solution could involve using a graphite 'antenna' and a circular 'focusing' bowl with specific dimensions, similar to the technique used to create ball lightning in a microwave oven. Generally, in order to resolve light, a grating with a spacing that matches the wavelength is needed, such as 10,000 slits per cm for visible light and several meters for radio waves.
aama100

Homework Statement

Some microowaves (EM radiation) have wavelength of 3 cm. What would be the order of magnitude of grating spacing needed to observe these ?

Homework Equations

n[tex]\lambda[/tex] = d sin[tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I am not really sure if I was using the correct equation for that question but all what I am doing is about the diffraction grating spectrometer, gas spectra wavelength of light. In that question there was no angle so I can find n. The only thing is the wavelength given. I do not want you to solve it. I just want you to lead me to where should I go ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I once saw this video of a guy making ball lightning in a microwave oven, and he used a graphite 'antenna' that was 1/4 the 110-cm wavelength of the microwaves, and a circular 'focusing' bowl that was 1/2 the wavelength. If that gives you any idea.

So I think this problem is easier than you're making it. In order to resolve light, you need a grating which approximately matches the wavelength of the light. So for visible light, you need small spacing (like 10,000 slits per cm), and for radio waves (like those "very large array" dishes they use for stars) you need large spacing, like several meters between dishes.

What is the order of magnitude of grating spacing?

The order of magnitude of grating spacing refers to the approximate scale or size of the spacing between the lines on a diffraction grating. It is typically measured in units of nanometers (nm) or micrometers (μm) and can range from very small (on the order of 10 nm) to much larger (up to several hundred μm).

How is the order of magnitude of grating spacing determined?

The order of magnitude of grating spacing is determined by the manufacturing process used to create the diffraction grating. This can involve techniques such as lithography, etching, or holography to produce precise and consistent spacing between the lines on the grating.

Why is the order of magnitude of grating spacing important?

The order of magnitude of grating spacing is important because it affects the properties and performance of the diffraction grating. The spacing determines the angle at which light is diffracted and the resolution of the grating, which can impact the accuracy and sensitivity of measurements made using the grating.

What factors can influence the order of magnitude of grating spacing?

The order of magnitude of grating spacing can be influenced by various factors, such as the wavelength of light being diffracted, the material and thickness of the grating, and the method used to produce the grating. Environmental factors, such as temperature and humidity, can also affect the spacing of the grating lines.

Is the order of magnitude of grating spacing constant for all diffraction gratings?

No, the order of magnitude of grating spacing can vary depending on the specific diffraction grating being used. Different manufacturing processes and materials can result in different spacing sizes. Additionally, some gratings may have a variable spacing, allowing for a wider range of diffraction angles and applications.