1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Order of SL(2,Zp), p is a prime.

1. Jan 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the index [G:H], where H is a subgroup of the group G and;

[itex] G = GL(2,Z_p) [/itex]

[itex] H = SL(2,Z_p) [/itex]

p is a prime

Where [itex]GL(2,Z_p)[/itex] is the general linear group of 2x2 invertible matrices with entries in [itex]Z_p[/itex], [itex]SL(2,Z_p)[/itex] is the general linear group of 2x2 invertible matrices with entries in [itex]Z_p[/itex] but with determinant 1.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]|GL(2,Z_p)| = (p^2 -1)(p^2 -p) [/itex]

Lagrange's theorem

[itex]|GL(2,Z_p)| = [G:H]|SL(2,Z_p)| [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

To be able to do this, I need to intuitively work out the number of distinct cosets, or work out the order of [itex]SL(2,Z_p)[/itex] in terms of p.

I know how to derive the order of [itex]GL(n,Z_p)[/itex] (note: not necessarily a 2x2 matrix), but doing the same for the special linear group doesn't seem to be as straightforward.

I've looked at it this way, the determinant of [itex]SL(2,Z_p)[/itex] must be one, so

[itex] ac-bd = 1 [/itex] - the determinant

Thus if we let

[itex] ac = m [/itex]

Then

[itex] bd = m - 1 [/itex]

[itex] 1 \leq m \leq p^2 [/itex]

So, as [itex] a [/itex] or [itex] c [/itex] cannot be zero, [itex] a [/itex] and [itex] c [/itex] can have values ranging from [itex] 1 [/itex] to [itex] p-1 [/itex]. i.e. [itex] a [/itex] can have [itex] (p-1) [/itex] different values and so can [itex] c [/itex]. So the number of matrices in [itex]SL(2,Z_p)[/itex] is

(Number of combinations of a) times (Number of combinations of c) times (Number of combinations of b) times (Number of combinations of d)

=

[itex] (p-1) [/itex] times [itex] (p-1) [/itex] times (Number of combinations of b) times (Number of combinations of d)

=

[itex] (p-1)^2 [/itex] times (Number of combinations of b) times (Number of combinations of d)

How would I work out the number of possible combinations of [itex] b [/itex] and [itex] d [/itex] from this? Once I work that out, I should times [itex] (p-1)^2 [/itex] by those to get the order of [itex]SL(2,Z_p)[/itex].

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hmmm, what if you apply the isomorphism theorem to the map

[tex]GL(2,\mathbb{Z}_p)\rightarrow \mathbb{Z}_p:A\rightarrow det(A)[/tex]

??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook