Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ordered a couple of AoPS textbooks

1. Jun 7, 2010 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2010 #2
    Not those in particular, but I've skimmed their Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 books, which were pretty good.

4. Jun 7, 2010 #3
    I have used their books in high school to self-study for math competitions (haven't seen their calculus and pre-calculus books as they are recent additions). I liked them and feel they adequately prepared me for the earlier stages of competition, and later on prepared me for the more advanced material. In particular I like that they focus on problem solving which is really the hard part of high school and early college material. I have no experience in using them for an actual class though.

5. Jun 7, 2010 #4
    Yeah these are for self-study. The online textbook my class uses is crap. The images that are supposed to explain the problems are missing and the formatting is completely off.

I'll probably get Vol. 1 and 2 in a couple of months so I can try my hand at AMC12.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook