Orientability of Submanifolds: A Proof and Strategy

In summary, the author is asking for help in proving that a submanifold of a manifold is orientable. They state that it exists a vector field X which is everywhere linearly independent from the tangent vector at a point on the submanifold. They ask for help in understanding how to flip between vector fields and forms, and provide a hint that a volume form may help.
Canavar
Hello,

here is my exercise:
Let M be a orientable manifold of dimension m and let N be a submanifold of M of codimension 1.
Show that N is orientable <=> it exists a[tex] X \in \tau_1 (M),[/tex] s.t. [tex]span<X(p)> \oplus T_p N= T_p M \;
\forall p\in N[/tex]

The X is a vector field, i.e. X(p) is an tangent vector at p.
But what is the strategy to proof this claim? Excuse me but, I'm so desperate. This stuff is completely new for me and i don't know how this works.

Can you please help me by this proof? Or do you know at least good literature, where i can read something about this topic?

Thanks

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Notation in this subject varies widely. What is [tex]\tau_1(M)[/tex]? Do you mean to say that [tex]X[/tex] is a smooth vector field on [tex]M[/tex]? (that's what I guess from the problem)

Also, what are you using for a definition of 'orientable'? There are many ways to approach the definition.

Hello,

yes you are right, X is a smooth vector field on M.

We have a few equivalent definitions of "orientable".

A manifold is orientable if

1) det [tex]d(f \circ g^{-1})>0[/tex] , [tex]\forall f,g[/tex] whereas f, g are coordinate maps of the manifold.

<=>2) we have a non-vanishing differential m-form (if dimM=m)

<=>[tex]\Lambda^m T^{*}M-\{0\}[/tex] has two components

Suppose [tex]\omega[/tex] is a volume form on [tex]M[/tex] (that is, a nowhere zero [tex]m[/tex]-form). Think about how you can use [tex]\omega[/tex] to convert a vector field [tex]X[/tex] which is everywhere linearly independent from [tex]TN[/tex], into either a volume form for [tex]N[/tex] or a smooth frame field for [tex]N[/tex]. (By "frame field" I mean a family of [tex]m - 1[/tex] vector fields in [tex]N[/tex] which are everywhere linearly independent.)

In order to flip between vector fields and forms, it may help you to construct a Riemannian metric on [tex]M[/tex].

The best exposition I know of basic material about manifolds is Volume I of Michael Spivak, A comprehensive introduction to differential geometry. I've seen other people say good things about John Lee, Introduction to smooth manifolds, but I've never read it.

Thank you for your help.

Let [tex]\omega[/tex] be our volume form. , [tex]\omega :M->\Lambda^m M[/tex] That is [tex]\omega[/tex] assigns to each point a alternating tensor.
And we need a smooth vector field X:M->TM.

But i don't know how \omega induces a vector field.

[tex]\omega(p) \in \Lambda^m (T_p M)[/tex] This is a tensor in this space. Can you please give me another hint?

(excuse me, but this stuff is completely new for me)

Regards

1. What is the orientation of a submanifold?

The orientation of a submanifold is a property that describes its local directionality, or which direction is considered "positive" or "outward-facing" at each point. This is often represented by a choice of basis vectors or a unit normal vector.

2. How is the orientation of a submanifold determined?

The orientation of a submanifold is typically determined by the orientation of the ambient space and the choice of coordinate system used to describe the submanifold. In some cases, it may also be defined by a specific vector field or differential form on the submanifold.

3. Can a submanifold have multiple orientations?

Yes, a submanifold can have multiple orientations if the ambient space allows for it. For example, a Möbius strip in three-dimensional space has two possible orientations, while a sphere only has one.

4. How does the orientation of a submanifold affect its properties?

The orientation of a submanifold can affect its properties in several ways. For instance, it can determine the direction of integration along the submanifold, the sign of certain geometric quantities, and the compatibility of certain vector fields or differential forms defined on the submanifold.

5. Can the orientation of a submanifold change?

Yes, the orientation of a submanifold can change if it is transformed or embedded in a different ambient space or if a different coordinate system is used. However, in many cases, the orientation is preserved under certain transformations, such as diffeomorphisms or isometries.