Is my proof that multiplication is well-defined for reals correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that two sequences, ##(a_nb_n)_{n=1}^\infty## and ##(a'_nb_n)_{n=1}^\infty##, are equivalent if ##a_n## and ##a'_n## are equivalent and ##b_n## is a Cauchy sequence. The solution involves using the definitions of equivalence and Cauchy sequences, along with the laws of algebra and order for rationals, to prove that ##|a_nb_n - a'_nb_n|## is bounded by a given ##\epsilon##. The conversation also addresses concerns about whether ##a_nb_n## actually converges to the product ##xy##, with the conclusion
yucheng
Homework Statement
Proposition 5.3.10 (Multiplication is well defined). Let ##x = \mathrm{LIM}_{n\to\infty} a_n##, ##y = \mathrm{LIM}_{n\to\infty} b_n##, and ##x' = \mathrm{LIM}_{n\to\infty} a'_n## be real numbers. If ##x=x'##, then ##xy=x'y##.
Relevant Equations
N/A
I have referred to this page: https://taoanalysis.wordpress.com/2020/03/26/exercise-5-3-2/ to check my answer.

The way I thought of the problem:
I know ##xy = \mathrm{LIM}_{n\to\infty} a_n b_n## and I know ##x'y = \mathrm{LIM}_{n\to\infty} a'_n b_n##. Thus if ##xy=x'y##, maybe I can try showing that ##|a_n b_n-a'_n b_n| \leq \epsilon##?

My solution:
Given that ##x=x'##, we know ##\forall\delta>0:(\exists N\geq 1: (\forall n \geq N:|a_n-a'_n|\leq\delta))##. We also know that ##y## is the formal limit of a Cauchy sequence ##(b_n)_{n=1}^\infty##, which is bounded by a rational M, i.e. ##|b_n| \leq M \implies \frac{1}{|b_n|}\geq \frac{1}{M}##. Let ##\delta:=\frac{\epsilon}{M}\leq\frac{\epsilon}{|b_n|}##. From this, we can see that
\begin{align*}
|a_n-a'_n|&\leq\delta\\
&=\frac{\epsilon}{M}\\
&\leq\frac{\epsilon}{|b_n|}\\
\implies |a_n-a'_n|&\leq\frac{\epsilon}{|b_n|}\\
|a_n-a'_n||b_n|&\leq\epsilon
\end{align*}
Thus ##|a_n b_n -a'_n b_n|\leq\epsilon## , ##(a_n b_n)_{n=1}^\infty## is equivalent to ##(a'_n b_n)_{n=1}^\infty##, xy is equivalent to x'y.

Is this correct?

P.S. we have shown the laws of algebra and of order holds for rationals, before this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One thing I think you haven't shown is that ##a_n b_n## and ##a'_n b_n## converge to anything at all. I agree you have shown they are equivalent (if I remember the definition of that correctly) so if they converge to anything they converge to the same number.

I also don't think you have proven that ##a_n b_n## converges to xy to begin with, but that is pretty easy once you have this result (you can pick ##a_n=x## for all n to figure out what all the products converge to for example)

Office_Shredder said:
I also don't think you have proven that ##a_n b_n## converges to xy to begin with, but that is pretty easy once you have this result (you can pick ##a_n=x## for all n to figure out what all the products converge to for example)

I don't think it makes sense to prove ##a_nb_n\to xy## in this context. It looks like the author is defining a real number as a equivalence classes of rational Cauchy sequences, and then defining a product ##xy## to be the class of the pointwise product of Cauchy sequences representing ##x## and ##y## separately. So ##a_nb_n\to xy## is a definition rather than a theorem (and the problem is to show that it makes sense)

Infrared said:
I don't think it makes sense to prove ##a_nb_n\to xy## in this context. It looks like the author is defining a real number as a equivalence classes of rational Cauchy sequences, and then defining a product ##xy## to be the class of the pointwise product of Cauchy sequences representing ##x## and ##y## separately. So ##a_nb_n\to xy## is a definition rather than a theorem (and the problem is to show that it makes sense)

The model solution linked involves proving that ##a_n b_n## is a cauchy sequence to show that it represents some real number, so I think the concern is real. I agree the way the proposition is defined in the original post it does not assert that xy is a defined limit (which the URL does assert in its statement) so perhaps the OP intentionally has omitted this point.

• Love
Likes yucheng
Office_Shredder said:
I also don't think you have proven that anbn converges to xy to begin with, but that is pretty easy once you have this result (you can pick an=x for all n to figure out what all the products converge to for example)
Actually, it was in the proposition, but I omitted that as I actually only managed to prove the last part. So I guess for now, let's just assume anbn converges to xy.

Plus, as what @Infrared said, the author actually defined ##x y= \operatorname{LIM_{n\to\infty}}a_n b_n##.

I'll make sure I list out all my assumptions that I took for granted and also some definitions next time. Sorry!

To reiterate my point, xy is defined to be the limit of ##a_n b_n##only makes sense if that sequence is cauchy, so you need to show that that holds (iirc,. Real numbers are the limits of cauchy sequences of rational numbers). So the author hasn't defined this to be true, they can only say it's true as long as the limit exists (and then prove it exists)

I agree with the broad strokes of what you have written. I think you have the point exactly right for showing that ##a_nb_n - a'_nb_n## converges to 0.

Edit: deleted a wrong statement. If you pick M big enough of course ##b_n## is bounded, even if you need M to be much bigger than y.

Last edited:
Likes yucheng

1. How can I prove that multiplication is well-defined for real numbers?

To prove that multiplication is well-defined for real numbers, you need to show that the result of multiplication is unique and independent of the representation of the real numbers. This can be done by using the axioms of real numbers and properties of multiplication, such as commutativity and associativity.

2. What are the consequences of multiplication not being well-defined for real numbers?

If multiplication is not well-defined for real numbers, it would mean that the result of multiplication would depend on how the numbers are represented, leading to inconsistencies and contradictions in mathematical operations. This would make it impossible to perform accurate calculations and would undermine the foundation of mathematics.

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate the concept of well-defined multiplication for real numbers?

One example is multiplying two fractions, such as 1/2 and 2/3. The result of this multiplication is 1/3, which is the same regardless of how the fractions are represented (e.g. 0.5 and 0.666...). This shows that the result of multiplication is independent of the representation of the numbers, thus proving that multiplication is well-defined for real numbers.

4. How does the concept of well-defined multiplication relate to the concept of a function?

A function is considered well-defined if it produces a unique output for every input. Similarly, multiplication is considered well-defined if it produces a unique result for every pair of real numbers. In fact, multiplication can be thought of as a function that takes two real numbers as inputs and produces a real number as output.

5. Is the concept of well-defined multiplication limited to real numbers only?

No, the concept of well-defined multiplication applies to any set of numbers or mathematical objects. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics that ensures consistency and accuracy in mathematical operations. However, the specific proof for well-defined multiplication may differ depending on the set of numbers or objects being considered.