Orifice place to limit pressure after regulator

In summary, the speaker is having an issue with regulating pressure in a project. They have discovered that most pressure regulators have a maximum outlet range of either 0-50 psig or 0-100 psig, but they need a maximum of 60 psig. They are considering using orifice plates, but are not familiar with them and are seeking advice from someone who has experience. They plan to check with the manufacturer to see if they have a regulator with adjustable pressure. They later update that they have found a suitable regulator.
beho86
Hello,

I am working on a project and having an issue that I just ran into. I want the user to be able to regulate pressure from 0-60 psig max. When I start specifying the pressure regulators, found that they're sold with maximum outlet range either 0-50 psig and 0-100 psig. so I figured to get the 0-100 psig. I don't want the user to be able go above 60 psig, even with the regulator set at max (100 psi).

I was just looking at different orifice plates, but I have not used them before, so you had a similar experience, please let me know.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Check with the manufacturer. Many regulators have methods of limiting delivery pressure within the operating range.

Thanks Travis_King, I will check them today and see.

Update: All set, found one that's adjustable. Thanks

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of an orifice in a pressure limiting system?

The orifice acts as a flow restrictor, allowing only a certain amount of fluid or gas to pass through at a time. This helps to regulate the pressure downstream of the regulator.

2. How does an orifice limit pressure after a regulator?

When fluid or gas passes through the orifice, it experiences a pressure drop due to the reduction in flow area. This pressure drop helps to reduce the overall pressure downstream of the regulator.

3. What factors determine the size of the orifice in a pressure limiting system?

The size of the orifice is determined by the desired pressure drop and the flow rate of the fluid or gas. It is also important to consider the properties of the fluid, such as viscosity and density, as well as the material of the orifice to ensure it can withstand the flow.

4. Can an orifice be adjusted to control the pressure in a system?

Yes, the size of the orifice can be adjusted to control the pressure downstream of the regulator. This can be done by changing the diameter of the orifice or by adding multiple orifices in parallel or series.

5. Are there any limitations or disadvantages to using an orifice in a pressure limiting system?

One limitation of using an orifice is that it can cause a pressure drop in the system, which may affect the performance of downstream equipment. Additionally, the orifice may need to be cleaned or replaced periodically if it becomes clogged or damaged.