Origin of the term chair in academia?

In summary, the term "chair" in academia originated from the use of chairs as a formal authority symbol in churches and universities.
strangerep
Science Advisor
Origin of the term "chair" in academia?

When I was very young, I wondered why professors (heads of departments) were said to have a "chair" in such-and-such subject. I thought of the story about King Louis XIV of France who was said to have a chair in (their equivalent of) the cabinet room which doubled as a toilet. If, during a meeting with his ministers, he felt the need to... umm,... "go", he could just pop the lid of his chair and do his business right there without leaving the room. :yuck: Presumably someone would come and collect the royal "doings"? Or maybe not, since everyone knows that royal doings don't stink.
So, I wondered if maybe those very important academics also needed a similar facility. :biggrin:

More seriously though, what are the origins of the academic term "chair" ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Latin imported the Greek word kathedra, meaning a chair with arm rests, and the early Christian church took that as a formal symbol of authority. Hence a cathedral was a building containing a bishop's "official" kathedra from which formal pronouncements were made. The kathedra was a permanent symbol of authority, regardless of the finite lives of those who sat on it.

I suppose the first "modern" western universities (dating from about 1200 AD) adopted the same authority symbol, and the same concept that the institution of "head of department" is named after the permanent symbol, rather than its temporary current occupant.

Of course elaborate and expensive chairs (a.k.a. thrones) were used as both secular and religious power symbols long before the Greeks and Romans came along.

http://www.law.utoronto.ca/alumni/giving-0/gifts-have-made-difference/what-academic-chair

Likes 1 person
Thanks guys. :smile:

And the term is of course also used in band and orchestra skill level terminology. I played second fiddle during all of my six years in the high school band.:devil:

edward said:
And the term is of course also used in band and orchestra skill level terminology. I played second fiddle during all of my six years in the high school band.:devil:
Curiously, the maestro conductor in charge of the orchestra does not have a "chair", but only a little stick to do with whatever he wants. :biggrin:

What is the origin of the term "chair" in academia?

The origin of the term "chair" in academia can be traced back to the medieval period, when universities were first established. It was used to refer to the seat or position of authority held by the professor who presided over a particular subject or department.

Why is the term "chair" used to refer to the head of a department or subject in academia?

The term "chair" is used in academia because it symbolizes the authority and leadership of the person holding that position. It also reflects the notion of a physical seat or throne, which represents the person's position of power and influence within the university.

How is the term "chair" different from other academic titles?

The term "chair" is different from other academic titles because it specifically refers to the head of a department or subject, while other titles may refer to a variety of roles such as professor, lecturer, or dean. The term "chair" also carries a connotation of leadership and administrative responsibilities.

When did the term "chair" become widely used in academia?

The term "chair" became widely used in academia during the 19th century, when universities and academic departments started to formalize their organizational structures. It has since become a standard term used in universities around the world.

Is the use of the term "chair" limited to academia?

No, the term "chair" is not limited to academia. It is also commonly used in other industries and organizations to refer to a person who presides over a meeting or has a position of leadership and authority. However, its use in academia may have influenced its usage in other contexts.