Orthogonality and orthogonal set.

In summary, an orthogonal set ALWAYS have to be with respect to the specified interval...[a,b]. Orthogonality is actually much more tied into the inner product than just an interval, but that's not to say that an interval can't ruin orthogonality.
yungman
I am brushing up this topic. I want to verify both orthogonality between two functions and an orthogonal set ALWAYS have to be with respect to the specified interval...[a,b].

That is, a set of {1, ##\cos n\theta##, ##\sin m\theta##} is an orthogonal set IF AND ONLY IF ##\theta## on [##-\pi,\;\pi##]. Where n and m are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4...

{##\cos n\theta##, ##\sin m\theta##} is not an Orthogonal set on [##0,\;\pi##]}

Also, the interval [a,b] does not have to be symmetrical to define orthogonality or an orthogonal set...That is... a doesn't has to equal to b.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Orthogonality also has to be with respect to an inner product. What are you using for your inner product? Is it
[tex]\langle f|g\rangle = \int_{a}^{b}f(x)g^{*}(x) \, dx?[/tex]
Then all you have to do is compute the pairwise inner products and check that they vanish. As for the if-and-only-if part, I think you'll find that the inner products vanish on the interval you've mentioned if and only if they vanish on integer multiples of a period. Incidentally, for the integrals you have to compute, I'd recommend having two cases: [itex]n=m[/itex] and [itex]n\not=m.[/itex]

Likes 1 person
Ackbeet said:
Orthogonality also has to be with respect to an inner product. What are you using for your inner product? Is it
[tex]\langle f|g\rangle = \int_{a}^{b}f(x)g^{*}(x) \, dx?[/tex]
Then all you have to do is compute the pairwise inner products and check that they vanish. As for the if-and-only-if part, I think you'll find that the inner products vanish on the interval you've mentioned if and only if they vanish on integer multiples of a period. Incidentally, for the integrals you have to compute, I'd recommend having two cases: [itex]n=m[/itex] and [itex]n\not=m.[/itex]

Yes, I agree. I just never mention about inner product or whether n equal to m. I did specified n and m are integers. I just want to confirm orthogonality and orthogonal set have to be defined on the interval and orthogonality on one interval doesn't mean orthogonality in another interval.

Thanks

Orthogonality is actually much more tied into the inner product than an interval. But that is not an exclusion of the interval - it's just much more than merely the interval. For example, you might have a weighting function, so that you're interested in orthogonality with respect to the inner product
[tex]\langle f|g \rangle= \int_{a}^{b}f(x) g^{*}(x) e^{-x^{2}} \, dx.[/tex]
As you can see, it's the same interval, but I can tell you right now that the orthogonal functions for the inner product I gave you in post # 2 are not going to be the same orthogonal functions as the ones corresponding to this weighted inner product.

You are correct, also, that different intervals can ruin orthogonality. But that's really because different intervals pretty much always means a different inner product. Certainly the inner product
[tex]\langle f|g \rangle=\int_{a}^{b}f(x) g^{*}(x) \, dx[/tex]
will product different orthogonal functions, in general, than will
[tex]\langle f|g \rangle=\int_{0}^{b}f(x) g^{*}(x) \, dx.[/tex]

Thanks for the explanation. I understand what you are saying, and I assumed all these already. My question is very specific that being everything else is equal, I am only looking at the interval aspect only. Everything else has to be exactly as you described.

Anyway, thanks for your time and I got my answer that...two identical functions can be orthogonal in the inner product(no weight) at specific interval, but they can be NOT orthogonal in the inner product (no weight) with a different specified interval.

Thanks

You're welcome!

What is orthogonality?

Orthogonality refers to the mathematical concept of two entities being perpendicular or at right angles to each other. In linear algebra, this can also refer to two vectors being independent or having no shared components.

What is an orthogonal set?

An orthogonal set is a collection of vectors that are all mutually orthogonal to each other. This means that each vector in the set is perpendicular to all other vectors in the set.

How is orthogonality related to linear independence?

In linear algebra, a set of vectors is considered linearly independent if no vector in the set can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors. Orthogonality is closely related to linear independence, as an orthogonal set of vectors is always linearly independent.

What is the difference between orthogonality and orthonormality?

Orthogonality refers to two entities being perpendicular, while orthonormality refers to two entities being both perpendicular and having a length of 1. In linear algebra, an orthonormal set is a set of vectors that are all mutually perpendicular and have a length of 1.

How is orthogonality used in real-world applications?

Orthogonality is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. In physics, it is used to describe the relationship between forces and motion. In engineering, it is used in structural analysis and design. In computer science, it is used in signal processing and data compression algorithms.