Orthogonality of Stationary States

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
BOAS
Messages
546
Reaction score
19

Homework Statement



I'm going back through some homework as revision, and came across this problem. It was marked as correct, but now I'm thinking it's unconvincing...

For a particle in an infinite square well, with ##V = 0 , 0 \leq x \leq L##, prove that the stationary eigenstates are mutually orthogonal.

##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \delta_{m,n}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



The stationary eigenstates are given by ##\phi_n (x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin \frac{n \pi}{L}x##, and since the complex conjugate of a real function is just itself,

##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \frac{2}{L} \int^L_0 \sin \frac{m \pi }{L}x \sin \frac{n \pi}{L}x##.

Using the identity that ##\sin u \sin v = \frac{1}{2} [\cos (u-v) - \cos (u+v)]##

##\frac{2}{L} \int^L_0 \sin \frac{m \pi }{L}x \sin \frac{n \pi}{L}x = \frac{1}{L} \int^L_0 dx [\cos (\frac{(m-n)\pi}{L}x) - \cos (\frac{(m+n)\pi}{L}x)]##

Evaluating this I find that

##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \frac{1}{\pi} [\frac{\sin ((m-n)\pi)}{m - n} - \frac{\sin ((m+n)\pi)}{m+n}]##

Here I just said that this is zero for ##m \neq n##

The arguments of the sine functions are zero, regardless of whether or not ##m = n##, so what's missing here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
BOAS said:

Homework Statement



I'm going back through some homework as revision, and came across this problem. It was marked as correct, but now I'm thinking it's unconvincing...

For a particle in an infinite square well, with ##V = 0 , 0 \leq x \leq L##, prove that the stationary eigenstates are mutually orthogonal.

##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \delta_{m,n}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



The stationary eigenstates are given by ##\phi_n (x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin \frac{n \pi}{L}x##, and since the complex conjugate of a real function is just itself,

##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \frac{2}{L} \int^L_0 \sin \frac{m \pi }{L}x \sin \frac{n \pi}{L}x##.

Using the identity that ##\sin u \sin v = \frac{1}{2} [\cos (u-v) - \cos (u+v)]##

##\frac{2}{L} \int^L_0 \sin \frac{m \pi }{L}x \sin \frac{n \pi}{L}x = \frac{1}{L} \int^L_0 dx [\cos (\frac{(m-n)\pi}{L}x) - \cos (\frac{(m+n)\pi}{L}x)]##

Evaluating this I find that

##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \frac{1}{\pi} [\frac{\sin ((m-n)\pi)}{m - n} - \frac{\sin ((m+n)\pi)}{m+n}]##

Here I just said that this is zero for ##m \neq n##

The arguments of the sine functions are zero, regardless of whether or not ##m = n##, so what's missing here?
When ##m=n##, you can't divide by ##m-n##, as you do in your computation.

Do the integral for ##m=n## separately.
 
Samy_A said:
When ##m=n##, you can't divide by ##m-n##, as you do in your computation.

Do the integral for ##m=n## separately.
Samy_A said:
When ##m=n##, you can't divide by ##m-n##, as you do in your computation.

Do the integral for ##m=n## separately.

Ah, I see.

For the case ##m = n## i'll have an integral of ##sin^2 (\frac{n \pi}{L} x)##

Thank you