1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonality of Stationary States

1. Mar 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm going back through some homework as revision, and came across this problem. It was marked as correct, but now i'm thinking it's unconvincing...

For a particle in an infinite square well, with ##V = 0 , 0 \leq x \leq L##, prove that the stationary eigenstates are mutually orthogonal.

##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \delta_{m,n}##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The stationary eigenstates are given by ##\phi_n (x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin \frac{n \pi}{L}x##, and since the complex conjugate of a real function is just itself,

##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \frac{2}{L} \int^L_0 \sin \frac{m \pi }{L}x \sin \frac{n \pi}{L}x##.

Using the identity that ##\sin u \sin v = \frac{1}{2} [\cos (u-v) - \cos (u+v)]##

##\frac{2}{L} \int^L_0 \sin \frac{m \pi }{L}x \sin \frac{n \pi}{L}x = \frac{1}{L} \int^L_0 dx [\cos (\frac{(m-n)\pi}{L}x) - \cos (\frac{(m+n)\pi}{L}x)]##

Evaluating this I find that

##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \frac{1}{\pi} [\frac{\sin ((m-n)\pi)}{m - n} - \frac{\sin ((m+n)\pi)}{m+n}]##

Here I just said that this is zero for ##m \neq n##

The arguments of the sine functions are zero, regardless of whether or not ##m = n##, so what's missing here?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When ##m=n##, you can't divide by ##m-n##, as you do in your computation.

Do the integral for ##m=n## separately.

4. Mar 25, 2016 #3
    Ah, I see.

For the case ##m = n## i'll have an integral of ##sin^2 (\frac{n \pi}{L} x)##

Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted