• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Orthogonality of Stationary States

• Thread starter BOAS
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I'm going back through some homework as revision, and came across this problem. It was marked as correct, but now i'm thinking it's unconvincing...

For a particle in an infinite square well, with ##V = 0 , 0 \leq x \leq L##, prove that the stationary eigenstates are mutually orthogonal.

##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \delta_{m,n}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The stationary eigenstates are given by ##\phi_n (x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin \frac{n \pi}{L}x##, and since the complex conjugate of a real function is just itself,

##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \frac{2}{L} \int^L_0 \sin \frac{m \pi }{L}x \sin \frac{n \pi}{L}x##.

Using the identity that ##\sin u \sin v = \frac{1}{2} [\cos (u-v) - \cos (u+v)]##

##\frac{2}{L} \int^L_0 \sin \frac{m \pi }{L}x \sin \frac{n \pi}{L}x = \frac{1}{L} \int^L_0 dx [\cos (\frac{(m-n)\pi}{L}x) - \cos (\frac{(m+n)\pi}{L}x)]##

Evaluating this I find that

##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \frac{1}{\pi} [\frac{\sin ((m-n)\pi)}{m - n} - \frac{\sin ((m+n)\pi)}{m+n}]##

Here I just said that this is zero for ##m \neq n##

The arguments of the sine functions are zero, regardless of whether or not ##m = n##, so what's missing here?

Answers and Replies

Samy_A
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I'm going back through some homework as revision, and came across this problem. It was marked as correct, but now i'm thinking it's unconvincing...

For a particle in an infinite square well, with ##V = 0 , 0 \leq x \leq L##, prove that the stationary eigenstates are mutually orthogonal.

##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \delta_{m,n}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The stationary eigenstates are given by ##\phi_n (x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin \frac{n \pi}{L}x##, and since the complex conjugate of a real function is just itself,

##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \frac{2}{L} \int^L_0 \sin \frac{m \pi }{L}x \sin \frac{n \pi}{L}x##.

Using the identity that ##\sin u \sin v = \frac{1}{2} [\cos (u-v) - \cos (u+v)]##

##\frac{2}{L} \int^L_0 \sin \frac{m \pi }{L}x \sin \frac{n \pi}{L}x = \frac{1}{L} \int^L_0 dx [\cos (\frac{(m-n)\pi}{L}x) - \cos (\frac{(m+n)\pi}{L}x)]##

Evaluating this I find that

##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \frac{1}{\pi} [\frac{\sin ((m-n)\pi)}{m - n} - \frac{\sin ((m+n)\pi)}{m+n}]##

Here I just said that this is zero for ##m \neq n##

The arguments of the sine functions are zero, regardless of whether or not ##m = n##, so what's missing here?
When ##m=n##, you can't divide by ##m-n##, as you do in your computation.

Do the integral for ##m=n## separately.

Ah, I see.

For the case ##m = n## i'll have an integral of ##sin^2 (\frac{n \pi}{L} x)##

Thank you