Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonality of timelike and null vector

1. Oct 28, 2013 #1
    Can we show orthogonality of timelike and null vector?
    u0rkg.png

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2013 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If X is timelike, and Y is orthogonal to X, then Y is spacelike.

4. Oct 28, 2013 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I just want to expand upon what George said. Let ##(M,g)## be a space-time and ##p\in M##. Furthermore, let ##X## be a time-like vector in ##T_p M## and ##Y## a non-zero vector in ##T_p M## such that ##g_p(X,Y) = 0##. Finally, let ##\{e_i \}## be an orthonormal basis for ##T_p M## so that ##X = X^i e_i## and ##Y = Y^i e_i##.

Then ##(X^2)^2 + (X^3)^2 + (X^4)^2 < (X^1)^2## and ##X^1 Y^1 = X^2 Y^2 + X^3Y^3 + X^4Y^4##.
    Note this immediately implies that ##(X^1)^2 > 0## and that ##(Y^2)^2 + (Y^3)^2 + (Y^4)^2 > 0##.

Therefore [tex](X^1 Y^1)^2 \leq ((X^2)^2 + (X^3)^2 + (X^4)^2)((Y^2)^2 + (Y^3)^2 + (Y^4)^2)< (X^1)^2((Y^2)^2 + (Y^3)^2 + (Y^4)^2)[/tex] thus ##(Y^1)^2 < (Y^2)^2 + (Y^3)^2 + (Y^4)^2## i.e. ##Y## is space-like.

5. Oct 28, 2013 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

WLOG, choose ##X = \{e_0 \}##.

6. Oct 28, 2013 #5

clem

Science Advisor

A time-like vector can be Lorentz transformed to be purely time-like:[itex]x^\mu=(t,0)[/itex].
    A null vector always has x=t, so they can't be orthogonal.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  7. Oct 28, 2013 #6
    I think you have to show that:
    [tex](X^1 Y^1)^2 \leq ((X^2)^2 + (X^3)^2 + (X^4)^2)((Y^2)^2 + (Y^3)^2 + (Y^4)^2)[/tex]

8. Oct 28, 2013 #7

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I had forgotten completely that one has the freedom to Lorentz boost to a frame wherein ##X = e_0## as stated by George and Clem above, which makes the calculation much simpler. Nevertheless, the above inequality follows directly from the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality.

9. Oct 28, 2013 #8
    I am student at geometry so your notation is quite different for me but thanks for everyone for all replies...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook