1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonality on Inner Product (Quantum Mechanics also)

1. Nov 6, 2015 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a qubit in the state |v> ∈ ℂ^2. Suppose that a measurement of δn is made on the qubit. Show that the probability of obtaining the result "+1" in the measurement is equal to 0 if and only if |v> and |n,+> are orthogonal.

2. Relevant equations
    Inner product axioms
    |v>|w> are orthogonal if |v>|w> = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    First things first, that this is a if and only if proof.
    a. Prob(+1) = 0 implies that |v> and |n,+> are orthogonal
    b. |v> and |n,+> are orthogonal implies Prob(+1) = 0

Proof of b: Prob(+1) = | |n,+> |v> |^2 , but since |n,+> and |v> are orthogonal as assumed, by definition of orthogonality, this is equal to 0. And so Prob(+1) = 0.

Proof of a: Similarly, Prob(+1) = | |n,+> |v> |^2 and since this equals 0, we see that |n,+>|v> = 0. But this is precisely the definition of orthogonality.

My concern: My concern is mainly with the proof of a, it seems very weak. Would you consider this a proper proof?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2015 #2

RJLiberator

Gold Member

One little bump before the week starts. :)

4. Nov 9, 2015 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

To make the proof less "handwavy", I would start from the fact that ##\left|\pm n \right\rangle## form a complete basis, i.e., one can always write
    $$
    \left|\psi \right\rangle = a \left| +n \right\rangle + b \left|-n \right\rangle
    $$
    and deduce things about the values of ##a## and ##b##.

Also, please note that the inner product is noted <v|w>, not |v>|w>. |v> is a column vector, and <v| a row vector.

5. Nov 9, 2015 #4

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Thanks for the help here. That's a good idea and may make it a stronger proof.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted