Orthogonality Property of Hyperbolic functions ?

In summary: The orthogonality property for trigonometric functions comes from the fact that they are solutions to the Sturm-Liouville eigenvalue equation with \lambda > 0, while hyperbolic functions have \lambda < 0. Therefore, there is no orthogonality property for hyperbolic functions.
avinashsahoo
Orthogonality Property of Hyperbolic functions ?

Hi all,
I have seen Orthogonal property for trigonomeric functions but I am unsure if there is something similar for sinh() , cosh() ? . I know that the integral of inner product of the two functions should be zero for them to be called as orthogonal.

I am asking this question because if one applies Variable separable form of F(x)G(y) to solve a laplace equation, then one always gets one of F(x) or G(y) to be hyperbolic. With this being the case ,doesn anybody know how to extract coefficients from series form of solution
of laplace equation when (say) only sinh(kx) is remaining :

for e.g Summation {Pn cosh(kx) } =phi . How to extract Pn ?

Had it been Summation {Pn cos(kx) } =phi ,then one can use orthogonal property of trigonometric function .

I hope ,I am clear.

Thanks ,
A.S

Physics news on Phys.org

I think most of the orthogonal functions are obtained from the solutions of the Sturm–Liouville eigenvalue equations

[tex](py')'+(q+\lambda r)y=0[/tex]

where [tex]\lambda[/tex] is a constant.

The trigonometric and hyperbolic come from solving the following equation
[tex]y''+\lambda y=0[/tex].
As a general solution, we obtain trigometric solution if [tex]\lambda > 0 [/tex] and hyperbolic solution if [tex]\lambda < 0 [/tex]. But if we further impose the boundary conditions then for [tex]\lambda < 0 [/tex] the solution is trivial y=0.

So I suspect that there is no such thing as orthogonal property for hyperbolic functions.

matematikawan said:
I think most of the orthogonal functions are obtained from the solutions of the Sturm–Liouville eigenvalue equations

[tex](py')'+(q+\lambda r)y=0[/tex]

where [tex]\lambda[/tex] is a constant.

The trigonometric and hyperbolic come from solving the following equation
[tex]y''+\lambda y=0[/tex].
As a general solution, we obtain trigometric solution if [tex]\lambda > 0 [/tex] and hyperbolic solution if [tex]\lambda < 0 [/tex]. But if we further impose the boundary conditions then for [tex]\lambda < 0 [/tex] the solution is trivial y=0.

So I suspect that there is no such thing as orthogonal property for hyperbolic functions.

This is true.

1. What is the orthogonality property of hyperbolic functions?

The orthogonality property of hyperbolic functions states that the product of two hyperbolic functions with different arguments is equal to the integral of their individual products over a certain interval. In other words, the integral of the product of two different hyperbolic functions is equal to zero.

2. How is the orthogonality property of hyperbolic functions used in mathematics?

The orthogonality property of hyperbolic functions is used in various areas of mathematics, including differential equations, Fourier series, and complex analysis. It allows for the simplification and solution of certain mathematical problems involving hyperbolic functions.

3. What is the significance of the orthogonality property of hyperbolic functions?

The orthogonality property of hyperbolic functions is significant because it allows for the simplification and solution of mathematical problems, particularly in the field of differential equations. It also has applications in physics and engineering, where hyperbolic functions are commonly used to model various phenomena.

4. Can the orthogonality property of hyperbolic functions be extended to other types of functions?

Yes, the orthogonality property of hyperbolic functions can be extended to other types of functions, such as trigonometric functions. This leads to the concept of generalized orthogonality, which is widely used in mathematical analysis and functional analysis.

5. How does the orthogonality property of hyperbolic functions differ from that of trigonometric functions?

The orthogonality property of hyperbolic functions is similar to that of trigonometric functions in some ways, as both involve the concept of orthogonality and integration. However, hyperbolic functions have a different form and range of values, which leads to some key differences in their orthogonality property and applications.