1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthonormality and the Stark Effect

1. Nov 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A Hydrogen atom is in a homogeneous electric field. The field's interaction with the atom is described by the Hamiltonian ##\hat H = e E_0 r \cos \theta##.

Calculate the energy shift due to the linear stark effect in the following state of Hydrogen.

##\Psi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (\psi_{200} + \psi_{210})##

Hint: Use the fact that ##r \cos \theta = r \sqrt{\frac{4 \pi}{3}} Y_{1,0}## and the orthonormality of the spherical harmonics.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

From first order perturbation theory:

##\Delta E = \int_{dv} \Psi^* \hat H \Psi##

##\Delta E = \frac{1}{2} \int^{\infty}_0 \int^{2\pi}_0 \int^{\pi}_0 (\psi_{200}^* + \psi_{210}^*) \hat H (\psi_{200} + \psi_{210})##

Substituting the hint into the Hamiltonian, and using the fact that ##\psi_{nlm} = R_{nl} Y_{lm}## to separate the integral.

##I_{angular} = \int^{2\pi}_0 \int^{\pi}_0 (Y_{00}^* + Y_{10}^*)(Y_{00} + Y_{10}) Y_{10} \sin \theta d\theta d\phi##

I am confused about how to apply the argument of orthonormality to the product of three spherical harmonics. How do I proceed?

Thanks for any help you can give!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2016 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In general the product of three spherical harmonics is called a Gaunt integral. In this case, we can make the simplification that [itex] Y_{00} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}} [/itex]. Also you can make the case that since you have [itex] m = 0 [/itex] you can convert to Legendre polynomials and use https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Legendre_polynomials to reduce the integrals to product of two only.

4. Nov 15, 2016 #3
    Oh that makes perfect sense, I should have seen that.

Thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted