Oscillating dipoles, energy and brightness

In summary, the problem involves finding the differential equation for the rate of loss of internal energy of a dipole as it radiates power proportional to its dipole moment and angular frequency. This can be solved by using the hint that the brightness is proportional to the total power radiated by the oscillators and assuming that the internal energy of the dipole is not being replenished.
milkism
Homework Statement
Brightness as function of time.
Relevant Equations
See solution.
Problem:
1684351520772.png

Attempt at solution:
So "energy passing through per unit area per unit time" is equal to $$I = \frac{E_i}{A t}$$
So for a the graph will be in the form of ##y=1/x##?
For b) do we have to solve the differential equation $$dI = \frac{E_i}{A dt}$$?

Physics news on Phys.org
milkism said:
Attempt at solution:
So "energy passing through per unit area per unit time" is equal to $$I = \frac{E_i}{A t}$$
##E_i## is not the energy that should appear in the above formula. The intensity of radiation ##I## at some point of space is the flux of radiation energy at that point. But ##E_i## is not radiation energy. ##E_i## is defined in the problem as the internal energy of the ##i##th oscillator.

For this problem, use the hint that the brightness is proportional to the total power radiated by the oscillators.

Note that as a dipole radiates, the internal energy ##E_i## of the dipole is converted into radiation energy. Assume that the internal energy of the dipole is not being replenished. So, the internal energy of the dipole will decrease over time.

Try to discover the differential equation that describes the rate of loss of internal energy of a dipole. I believe you will need to know the formula for the power radiated by an oscillating electric dipole in terms of its angular frequency ##\omega## and its dipole moment ##p##.

Likes milkism

1. What is an oscillating dipole?

An oscillating dipole refers to a system in which the charges are constantly changing direction, resulting in an oscillating electric field. This can occur in molecules, atoms, or subatomic particles.

2. How does an oscillating dipole produce energy?

As the charges in an oscillating dipole change direction, they create a constantly changing electric field. This change in electric field produces electromagnetic radiation, which carries energy. Therefore, an oscillating dipole can produce energy in the form of electromagnetic waves.

3. How does the brightness of an oscillating dipole relate to its energy?

The brightness of an oscillating dipole is directly proportional to its energy. This means that as the energy of the oscillating dipole increases, its brightness also increases. This is because the energy of the dipole is directly related to the intensity of the electromagnetic radiation it produces.

4. Can the energy and brightness of an oscillating dipole be controlled?

Yes, the energy and brightness of an oscillating dipole can be controlled by changing the frequency and amplitude of the oscillation. By adjusting these parameters, the energy and brightness of the dipole can be increased or decreased as desired.

5. What are some real-world applications of oscillating dipoles and their energy?

Oscillating dipoles and their energy are utilized in a variety of technologies, such as radio and television broadcasting, wireless communication, and medical imaging. They are also important in understanding the behavior of molecules and atoms in chemistry and physics research.