1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillating pressure regulation system

1. May 13, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

I'm after a water system involving some sort of pressure valve (pressure regulator, relief valve etc - whichever gets the job done) where the inlet pressure is always OVER set-pressure, and the valve oscillates (opens and closes rapidly) in response. It is this oscillation that is desirable in my case :)

I am hoping for some sort of system that:
    - Water flows through system
    - Inlet water pressure builds up to be higher than set-pressure
    - Valve opens (etc) that dumps inlet pressure
    - In response to the lowered inlet pressure the valve closes again
    - Process repeats ad infinitum at a fast rate to oscillate the valve

I am not concerned by the output. I am simply dumping the water.

Does a relief valve work like this by default?
    If not, does any body know of a valve, or a modification to a valve, that will produce this property?

Thanks in advance!
    Peter

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2012 #2
    A relief valve will get the job done. It does work like that by default.

-Jeff

4. May 15, 2012 #3
    Don't expect great accuracy though. Also, what sort of volume are you looking to dump?

5. May 15, 2012 #4
    Thanks guys. The volume of water is not important - I am after the highest rate of oscillation I can get. I'm guessing I just need to tune the system so that the set pressure is much lower than the input pressure, but not too low to keep the valve open.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook