1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillation equilibrium problem

1. Nov 13, 2006 #1
    A 4.40 kg block hangs from a spring with spring constant 1700 N/m. The block is pulled down 6.30 cm from the equilibrium position and given an initial velocity of 1.10 m/s back toward equilibrium.

I have no idea how to start such a problem. If anyone could give me a idea of where to start Id be very thankful.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First, state the whole problem. You have stated the initial conditions, but not what you are being asked to find. Whatever it is you are supposed to be finding, you can probably get there by considering the initial energy of the mass/spring system.
  4. Nov 13, 2006 #3
    ya just realized I forgot that the part Im having problem with is
    What is the amplitude?
    What is the total mechanical energy of the motion?
  5. Nov 13, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A stretched or compressed spring has potential energy. How much?? A moving mass has kinetic energy. How much?? For a mass hanging on a spring gravity only alters things by moving the eqwuilibrium position of the mass, so you don't have to worry about gravity if you measure the stretching or compression of the spring from the equilibrium point of the mass.

The amplitude is the distance from equilibrium to the maximum stretch point. At this point all the energy is the spring energy.
  6. Nov 13, 2006 #5
    Ok I figured it out thanks for the help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?