Understanding Molecular Vibration of HF: Equilibrium Distance and Binding Energy

In summary: You estimate the potential energy for the interaction of a negatively charged fluorine ion and a proton as a function of distance ##d## by ##V(d)=\frac{A}{d^4}-\frac{B}{d}##, where ##A=2.4\cdot 10^{-28}## Jm and ##B=0.6\cdot 10^{-58}## Jm##^4##.The numerical value of the constants appear to be inverted.
schniefen
Homework Statement
You estimate the potential energy for the interaction of a negatively charged fluorine ion and a proton as a function of distance ##d## by ##V(d)=\frac{A}{d^4}-\frac{B}{d}##, where ##A=2.4\cdot 10^{-28}## Jm##^4## and ##B=0.6\cdot 10^{-58}## Jm.
a) Calculate the equilibrium distance ##a## between the ions.
b) Calculate the binding energy between the ions.
c) Calculate the vibration frequency for the HF molecule (in one dimension) for small elongations from the equilibrium distance based on this model. Assume that the heavy fluorine ion is at rest and use the proton mass ##m_p=1.6\cdot 10^{-27}## kg.
Relevant Equations
I am a little unsure what the relevant equations are, hence the question. However, this exercise follows from lectures on oscillations and coupled oscillations, where molecules are modelled as spheres attached to springs. Maybe the potential and kinetic energy of a spring attached to a mass are relevant equations.
Starting with a), I have learnt that the potential energy function has a minimum at the equilibrium distance ##a##. So at the equilibrium distance the derivative of the potential energy function should equal zero:

##\begin{align}
V'(a)&=-\frac{4A}{a^5}+\frac{B}{a^2}=0 \nonumber \\
\iff Ba^5 &=4Aa^2 \nonumber \\
\iff a&=\left(\frac{4A}{B}\right)^{1/3} \nonumber \\
\end{align}##​

For b), I have learnt that the second derivative of the potential energy, evaluated at the equilibrium distance ##a##, can be thought of as the spring constant ##k##. So,

##k=V''(a)=\frac{20A}{a^6}-\frac{2B}{a^3}##
Though from hereon I am unsure how to continue.

Physics news on Phys.org
So then the oscillation frequency omega will be sqrt(k/m). m is the mass of the proton (because the told you to consider the Fluorine ion to be so heavy it is assumed to be stationary. If they hadn't, then you should use the reduced mass).

As for the binding energy, evaluate the V function at the equilibrium point.

Likes schniefen
schniefen said:
Homework Statement:: You estimate the potential energy for the interaction of a negatively charged fluorine ion and a proton as a function of distance ##d## by ##V(d)=\frac{A}{d^4}-\frac{B}{d}##, where ##A=2.4\cdot 10^{-28}## Jm and ##B=0.6\cdot 10^{-58}## Jm##^4##.
The numerical value of the constants appear to be inverted.

schniefen said:
Starting with a), I have learnt that the potential energy function has a minimum at the equilibrium distance ##a##. So at the equilibrium distance the derivative of the potential energy function should equal zero:

##\begin{align}
V'(a)&=-\frac{4A}{a^5}+\frac{B}{a^2}=0 \nonumber \\
\iff Ba^5 &=4Aa^2 \nonumber \\
\iff a&=\left(\frac{4A}{B}\right)^{1/3} \nonumber \\
\end{align}##​
Correct. You should probably also calculate the numerical value.
schniefen said:
For b), I have learnt that the second derivative of the potential energy, evaluated at the equilibrium distance ##a##, can be thought of as the spring constant ##k##. So,

##k=V''(a)=\frac{20A}{a^6}-\frac{2B}{a^3}##
Though from hereon I am unsure how to continue.
This is actually the answer to c), you haven't done b).

Likes schniefen
DrClaude said:
The numerical value of the constants appear to be inverted..
You were right, fixed it.
DrClaude said:
This is actually the answer to c), you haven't done b).
As @FinBurger pointed out, I just evaluate ##V## at the equilibrium distance for b). However, why at the equilibrium distance? Is this where the kinetic energy is ##0## and thus we obtain the total energy of the system?

schniefen said:
You were right, fixed it.

As @FinBurger pointed out, I just evaluate ##V## at the equilibrium distance for b). However, why at the equilibrium distance? Is this where the kinetic energy is ##0## and thus we obtain the total energy of the system?
The binding energy is the minimum energy (increase in potential energy) needed to change from the equilibrium position to being completely separated. Hence:
Binding energy = V(∞) - V(a) = 0 - V(a) = -V(a)

Likes DrClaude and schniefen

1. What is the molecular vibration of HF?

The molecular vibration of HF refers to the movement of the atoms in a HF molecule, specifically the stretching and bending of the bond between the hydrogen and fluorine atoms. This movement is caused by the energy of the molecule, which can be affected by factors such as temperature and external forces.

2. How does the molecular vibration of HF affect its properties?

The molecular vibration of HF plays a crucial role in determining the physical and chemical properties of the molecule. The strength and frequency of the vibration can affect the molecule's bond length, bond angle, and dipole moment, which in turn can impact its reactivity, polarity, and other properties.

3. What methods are used to study the molecular vibration of HF?

There are several experimental and theoretical methods used to study the molecular vibration of HF. These include infrared spectroscopy, Raman spectroscopy, and quantum mechanical calculations. These techniques allow scientists to observe and analyze the vibrational modes of the molecule and determine its energy levels and frequencies.

4. How does the molecular vibration of HF change with temperature?

The molecular vibration of HF increases with temperature, as the atoms in the molecule have more thermal energy to move and vibrate. This can cause changes in the bond length and angle, as well as the overall shape of the molecule. At higher temperatures, the molecule may also undergo more complex vibrational motions, such as combination and overtone vibrations.

5. How is the molecular vibration of HF related to its bond strength?

The strength of the bond between the hydrogen and fluorine atoms in HF is directly related to the molecular vibration. As the atoms vibrate, the bond length and angle change, affecting the strength of the bond. A stronger bond will have a higher vibrational frequency and require more energy to stretch or bend, while a weaker bond will have a lower frequency and be more easily affected by external forces.