Oscillation of a closed subinterval

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of uniform oscillation and how it relates to continuity. The goal is to prove that for any given \epsilon > 0, there exists a \delta > 0 such that for any closed interval I \in [a,b] with length l(I) < \delta, the oscillation of f on I, denoted by \omega_f(I), is less than \epsilon. The definitions of oscillation of a set and point are also mentioned.
chaotixmonjuish
Given [itex]\epsilon > 0 [/itex], suppose [itex]\omega_f(x) < \epsilon [/itex] for each [itex]x \in [a,b] [/itex]. Then show there is [itex]\delta > 0 [/itex] such that for every closed interval [itex] I \in [a,b][/itex] with [itex] l(I)< \delta[/itex] we have [itex]\omega_f(I) < \epsilon [/itex].

My first approach to this was trying to think of it as an anaglous to the definition of continuity. However, it would appear, at least to me, that we are talking about a "uniformly" oscillating interval. I'm just not sure how to prove this. My first idea was simply, since I know that things are [itex] \epsilon [/itex] spaced, I could always pick intervals small enough. I'm not sure how to do this rigorously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you will need to do is define "[itex]\omega_f(x)[/itex]" and "[itex]\omega_f(I)[/itex]". They are, of course, the "oscillation" of f at x and on interval I, but what are the precise definitions?

The definitions of oscillation of a set and point respectively:

[itex]\omega_f(A)=\sup\limits_{x,y\in A}f(x)-f(y)|[/itex]

[itex]\omega_f(x)=\inf\{\omega_f(x)=\inf\{\omega_f(x-\epsilon, x+\epsilon)\cap A) : \epsilon > 0\}[/itex]

What is oscillation of a closed subinterval?

Oscillation of a closed subinterval refers to the behavior of a function within a specific range or interval. It is the measure of how much a function fluctuates or changes within that interval.

How is the oscillation of a closed subinterval calculated?

The oscillation of a closed subinterval is calculated by finding the difference between the maximum and minimum values of the function within that interval. This can be represented mathematically as O(f, [a,b]) = sup{f(x) - f(y) : x,y∈[a,b]}.

What are the practical applications of understanding oscillation of a closed subinterval?

Understanding the oscillation of a closed subinterval is useful in many fields, including engineering, physics, and economics. It can help in analyzing the stability of systems, predicting the behavior of physical phenomena, and studying the variation of data over time.

How does the oscillation of a closed subinterval relate to continuity?

The oscillation of a closed subinterval is closely related to the concept of continuity. A function is continuous at a point if its oscillation at that point is zero. This means that the function does not have any sharp jumps or breaks at that point.

Can the oscillation of a closed subinterval be negative?

Yes, the oscillation of a closed subinterval can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing within that interval, with the maximum value being less than the minimum value. However, the oscillation cannot be less than zero, as it is a measure of the absolute difference between the maximum and minimum values.