1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillation / Phase Space Question

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Thornton and Marion, chapter 3, problem 21:

Use a computer to produces a phase space diagram similar to Figure 3-11 for the case of critical damping. Show analytically that the equation of the line that the phase paths approach asymptotically is [tex] \dot{x}=-\beta x[/tex]. Show the phase paths for at least three initial positions above and below the line.

[tex]\beta>0[/tex] is the usual damping parameter.

2. Relevant equations

Equation of motion for critically damped oscillator:

[tex] x = A\exp \left(-\beta t\right) + Bt\exp \left(-\beta t\right)[/tex].

And,

[tex] \dot{x} =-A\beta\exp\left(-\beta t \right) +B\exp\left(-\beta t \right)-B\beta t \exp\left(-\beta t \right)[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

The phase diagram is done and correct. My problem is in showing the equation of the asymptote. My first inclination was to examine the limits of [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]\dot{x}[/tex] as [tex]t \to \infty[/tex]. But they both go to zero, correct?

But I took at peak at the solution and they have

[tex] \lim_{t \to \infty} x = Bt\exp \left(-\beta t\right) [/tex]

and

[tex] \lim_{t\to \infty} \dot{x} = -B\beta t \exp\left(-\beta t \right)[/tex].

Therefore, [tex] \dot{x} = -\beta x [/tex] as [tex]t \to \infty[/tex].

What?! Aren't those limits zero?! Am I so sleep deprived that I can't even take limits anymore? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Those limits are indeed zero, but the limit of x-dot divided by the limit of x is -beta. That's exactly what the question wanted you to prove.

4. Feb 18, 2010 #3
    Oh, OK. So you're taking the limit of the ratio [tex]\dot{x}/x[/tex]. Why would be interested in that limit? I'm having a hard time finding motivation for all these things that the problems want you to do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook