1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillations - A puzzling demonstration

1. May 18, 2010 #1
    I watched MIT OCW PHYSICS 8.01 lectures, and in lecture no.13, i saw a puzzling demonstration. Link :http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-01Physics-IFall1999/VideoLectures/detail/embed13.htm" [Broken]

I don't understand, what can be the reason for the oscillations of ball on the track with the smaller radius to have a larger time period than the oscillations of the red object on the larger track? :confused:Please explain.

Thank you.
    Elixer

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2010 #2

alxm

Science Advisor

Cute.

Well, to repeat the question that was asked, but in a more leading way:
    How is a ball on a curved track not like a pendulum?

4. May 18, 2010 #3
    I think the answer lies somewhere in the fact that the metal ball rolling on a track is actually in contact with the track, but I'd have to think it through some more. This is a very cool demonstration though.

5. May 18, 2010 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are the balls doing on the track that is different from a pendulum?

Edit: I have now actually watched the demo, I'll rephrase my question.

What is the ball doing on the track that the air car is not?

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  6. May 18, 2010 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Good lecture - great little demo.
    I wonder how many of the students came up with the answer "in the shower".

7. May 18, 2010 #6
    Aha! I feel foolish now :frown:. The answer is because the ball is rolling and has an additional angular momentum, while the air car has zero angular momentum. I should have caught that right away, but i was sort of right in the sense that the ball rolls because it's in contact with the track.

8. May 18, 2010 #7
    So the ball has an angular momentum as well.
    But , consider the following

The ball on the circular track has an angular velocity
    w = squareroot(g/R)[where R = radius of circular path ,g = acceleration due to earth's gravity]
    So, as the radius of the path the ball travels decreases, w should increase hence time period should decrease, why did T increase?

9. May 18, 2010 #8
    T increased because the ball has an additional angular momentum, and thus less linear momentum than if the ball had slid down the track without rolling.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook