Oscillations - A puzzling demonstration

In summary: This additional angular momentum causes the ball to take longer to complete one revolution, resulting in a larger time period. In summary, the ball's rolling motion and additional angular momentum causes it to have a longer time period compared to the red object on the larger track, which only has linear momentum.
Elixer
I watched MIT OCW PHYSICS 8.01 lectures, and in lecture no.13, i saw a puzzling demonstration. Link :http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-01Physics-IFall1999/VideoLectures/detail/embed13.htm"

I don't understand, what can be the reason for the oscillations of ball on the track with the smaller radius to have a larger time period than the oscillations of the red object on the larger track? :confused:Please explain.

Thank you.
Elixer

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cute.

Well, to repeat the question that was asked, but in a more leading way:
How is a ball on a curved track not like a pendulum?

I think the answer lies somewhere in the fact that the metal ball rolling on a track is actually in contact with the track, but I'd have to think it through some more. This is a very cool demonstration though.

What are the balls doing on the track that is different from a pendulum?

Edit: I have now actually watched the demo, I'll rephrase my question.

What is the ball doing on the track that the air car is not?

Last edited:
Good lecture - great little demo.
I wonder how many of the students came up with the answer "in the shower".

Aha! I feel foolish now :frown:. The answer is because the ball is rolling and has an additional angular momentum, while the air car has zero angular momentum. I should have caught that right away, but i was sort of right in the sense that the ball rolls because it's in contact with the track.

So the ball has an angular momentum as well.
But , consider the following

The ball on the circular track has an angular velocity
w = squareroot(g/R)[where R = radius of circular path ,g = acceleration due to Earth's gravity]
So, as the radius of the path the ball travels decreases, w should increase hence time period should decrease, why did T increase?

T increased because the ball has an additional angular momentum, and thus less linear momentum than if the ball had slid down the track without rolling.

1. What is an oscillation?

An oscillation is a repetitive motion or movement between two points. It involves a back-and-forth or up-and-down motion around a central point or equilibrium.

2. What causes oscillations?

Oscillations can be caused by various factors such as external forces, changes in energy, or the natural behavior of certain systems. In the case of "A puzzling demonstration," the oscillations are caused by the changing balance of the spinning top due to gravity and friction.

3. How do oscillations work?

Oscillations work by continuously exchanging energy between different forms (e.g. kinetic and potential energy) as the system moves back and forth. This allows the system to maintain its motion while also staying close to its equilibrium point.

4. What are some real-life examples of oscillations?

Oscillations can be observed in many natural phenomena, such as the swinging of a pendulum, the bouncing of a spring, or the vibrations of a guitar string. They can also be found in man-made objects, like the movement of a car's suspension or the sound waves produced by a tuning fork.

5. How do oscillations affect our daily lives?

Oscillations are an essential part of many technologies we use in our daily lives. They are used in clocks to keep time, in engines to convert energy into motion, and in musical instruments to produce sound. Understanding oscillations also helps us study and predict natural phenomena, such as earthquakes and weather patterns.