Oscillations of fluid in a U tube

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 5K views
VortexLattice
Messages
140
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



We have a U tube, like this one:

u-tube_manometer.png


With the a nonviscous, incompressible fluid at height h at equilibrium. We're interested in finding the frequency of small oscillations about the equilibrium. The tubes have area A (though I'm guessing this falls out in the end) and are L apart from each other (this definitely falls out).

Homework Equations



At equilibrium:

[itex]f_{app} = \frac{1}{\rho}\nabla p[/itex]

Where f_app is an applied force per unit mass, [itex]\rho[/itex] is the density (constant here), and p is the pressure.

The Attempt at a Solution



There are two forces at play: The applied gravitational force per unit mass, [itex]f_{app} = -g\hat{z}[/itex], and the pressure force (I think). At equilibrium, they should be equal. I'm going to say z is in the vertical direction, and z = 0 at equilibrium. Using the equation above and solving for p, we find that [itex]p = -\rho g z[/itex].

This is good because it's a linear term in z. Now, I know I need to apply Newton's 2nd law and get something of the form [itex]\ddot{z} = -k^2 z[/itex]. We have p, and force on a surface is pA, where A is the area. So I almost have it, but I'm having trouble putting it all together.

I'm also confused because it seems like when I try to sum all the forces for Newton's 2nd law, I have the pressure force and the gravitational force. But the gravitational force doesn't have z in it... I guess I could do that substitution trick where I let x = z - g, but it just seems like I'm doing something simple wrong.

Can anyone help?? Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The displaced liquid of height h exerts a pressure =hρg on the rest of the liquid in the U tube.
The force on the liquid is therefore =pressure/area = hρg/A.
This force is proportional to h (displacement... actually 2 x displacement) therefore the system undergoes SHM.
If you work through the logic of SHM you should get an equation for the time period.
I hope this gets you started... ask if you need any more help
 
Isn't Force= pressure*area?

F=-ρghA where A=area

d2h/dt2=-(ρgA)h/m

but m=ρAh problem?

or are we going to set ω2=-ρgA/m?

d2h/dt2=-ω2h
 
SORRY!RTW. My mistake f =P x A.
Acceleration = F/m where m = total mass of liquid in tube
This is the acceleration of the SHM.
Is this any help...sorry again about my careless typing error
 
RTW69 said:
OK is freq=√(ρgA/m)/2∏ for this problem?

Not quite.
In the analysis for SHM, the displacement from the equilibrium position is h/2 here
not h. Which means there is a factor of 2 missing in the formula.

Note also that m = ρLA where L is the total length of the liquid in the U-Tube

This gives T = 2∏√(L/2g) and bears a striking resemblance to another well-known formula!
It shows that the period is independent of the density or mass of the liquid.
 
Last edited:
I think I now agree with the displacement =h/2.
I think the question is not very clear, I left the mass of the liquid as m in the equation
Cheers