OSMOSIS what do you expect to happen

• Thread starter dagg3r
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Osmosis
In summary, based on the solutions provided and their concentrations, we can expect the following order for the most mass gained in the dialysis tube: Cup 4, Cup 3, Cup 2, Cup 1, Cup 5. Osmosis is the movement of water molecules from an area of high concentration to low concentration through a semi-permeable membrane.
dagg3r
OSMOSIS! what do you expect to happen!

Hey guys can someone help me with the osmosis scenarios and rank them in order of the most mass gained and also write a good definition of what osmosis is thanks.

thanks

first of all i have the following solutions
i have 5% sucrose in dialysis tube in distilled water - cup 1
i have 10% sucrose in dialysis tube in distilled water - cup 2
i have 20% sucrose in dialysis tube in distilled water - cup 3
i have 20% sucrose in (0.9% nacl solution - cup 4
i have 5% nacl in distilled water - cup 5

my definition of osmosis is what it think is the net movement of water molecules from area of high concentration to low concentration.

normally i would expect the higher concentration in the dialysis tube the more it will gain in mass but i got confused with the 5% nacl in distilled water and 20% sucrose in 0.9% nacl, i don't know which is more concentrated but would i assume 20% sucrose in 0.9% nacl isotonic? please rate the order you guys think from less increasing mass - most increasing mass i will have a shot and chose.

THE ORDER from 1 (lowest increasing mass ) to 5 ( most increasing mass)

1. cup 4
2. cup 1
3. cup 2
4 cup 5
5. cup 3

thats my guess anyone else want to give a try?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! I can provide some insight into what you can expect to happen in these osmosis scenarios. Osmosis is the process by which water molecules move from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration, through a semi-permeable membrane. In this case, the dialysis tube acts as the membrane, allowing water to pass through but not the solutes (sucrose or salt).

Based on your solutions, here is the order I would expect for the most mass gained in the dialysis tube:

1. Cup 4 (20% sucrose in 0.9% NaCl solution) - This solution has the highest concentration of solutes, making it the most hypertonic. This means that water molecules will move from the distilled water (hypotonic) into the dialysis tube, resulting in the most mass gained.

2. Cup 3 (20% sucrose in distilled water) - This solution also has a high concentration of solutes, making it hypertonic to the distilled water. However, because there is no additional salt present, the movement of water will be slightly lower compared to cup 4.

3. Cup 2 (10% sucrose in distilled water) - This solution is hypertonic to the distilled water, but has a lower concentration of solutes compared to cups 3 and 4. Therefore, the movement of water will be less, resulting in less mass gained.

4. Cup 1 (5% sucrose in distilled water) - This solution has the lowest concentration of solutes, making it hypotonic to the distilled water. Water molecules will move from the dialysis tube into the cup, resulting in a decrease in mass.

5. Cup 5 (5% NaCl in distilled water) - This solution has a low concentration of solutes compared to the others, making it hypotonic to the distilled water. Water molecules will move from the dialysis tube into the cup, resulting in a decrease in mass. However, because NaCl is a smaller molecule than sucrose, there may be a slightly higher movement of water compared to cup 1.

I hope this helps! Osmosis can be a bit tricky to understand, but it's an important process to know in biology and chemistry. Good luck with your experiments!

Hi there,

Based on your solutions and definitions, here is my ranking:

1. Cup 4 - The 20% sucrose in 0.9% NaCl solution is the most concentrated, so it will have the highest mass gain due to osmosis.
2. Cup 3 - The 20% sucrose solution in distilled water is still highly concentrated and will have a significant mass gain.
3. Cup 2 - The 10% sucrose solution in distilled water is less concentrated than the previous two, so it will have a lower mass gain.
4. Cup 1 - The 5% sucrose solution in distilled water is the least concentrated, so it will have the lowest mass gain.
5. Cup 5 - The 5% NaCl solution in distilled water is not as concentrated as the sucrose solutions, so it will likely have a lower mass gain.

Your definition of osmosis is correct - it is the movement of water molecules from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. In this case, the water molecules will move from the distilled water (low concentration) to the solutions (high concentration) in the dialysis tubes.

Hope this helps!

1. What is Osmosis?

Osmosis is a process by which solvent molecules (usually water) move through a semipermeable membrane from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration in order to equalize the concentration on both sides.

2. How does Osmosis occur?

Osmosis occurs due to the natural tendency of molecules to move from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration in order to reach equilibrium. In the case of osmosis, this movement is driven by the difference in solute concentration on either side of a semipermeable membrane.

3. What factors affect the rate of Osmosis?

The rate of osmosis is affected by several factors including the concentration gradient (difference in solute concentration), temperature, surface area of the membrane, and the permeability of the membrane. Higher concentration gradients, higher temperatures, larger surface areas, and more permeable membranes result in faster rates of osmosis.

4. What are the different types of Osmosis?

There are three main types of osmosis - hypertonic, hypotonic, and isotonic. In hypertonic solutions, the concentration of solutes is higher outside the cell, causing water to move out of the cell and resulting in cell shrinkage. In hypotonic solutions, the concentration of solutes is lower outside the cell, causing water to move into the cell and resulting in cell swelling or even bursting. In isotonic solutions, the concentration of solutes is equal on both sides of the membrane, resulting in no net movement of water.

5. How is Osmosis important in biological systems?

Osmosis plays a crucial role in maintaining the balance of fluids and electrolytes in living organisms. It is responsible for the movement of water and nutrients into cells, as well as the removal of waste products from cells. Osmosis is also essential for maintaining the proper shape and function of cells, as well as regulating the concentration of important substances such as hormones and enzymes.