Oxidation number of carbon in (NH4)2C2O4

  • Thread starter Thread starter Emmanuel_Euler
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Carbon Oxidation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
Emmanuel_Euler
Messages
142
Reaction score
11
What is the Oxidation Number of Carbon and Nitrogen In this compound (NH4)2C2O4?? i think the oxidation number of carbon is (+4) and Nitrogen is (-4).
am i true?? or not?
Note:this is not a homework.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I can't judge whether you are true :-)
I only can tell you that you are wrong.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Emmanuel_Euler
DrDu said:
I can't judge whether you are true :-)
I only can tell you that you are wrong.
Can you tell me why and where ??
 
So let's take NH4-: H has oxidation number +1 and the oxidation numbers have to sum up to the total charge of the ion, -1. That gives -3 for nitrogen. Same argument with C2O42-: Oxygen has oxidation number -2. Leaves me with +3 for carbon.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Emmanuel_Euler
@DrDu - confusing typo in your post, it is NH4+ - unless it was premeditated :wink:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DrDu and Emmanuel_Euler
Thank you guys. I thought that carbon has a oxidation number of +4 in this compound.
Thank you so much for help.