Oxydation of cyclic enol with KMnO4

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter duchuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cyclic
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of KMnO4 as an oxidizer and the formation of products in a reaction. The speaker is unsure of how to write the mechanism for the reaction and mentions the formation of a 5-member ring containing manganese. The use of cold dilute conditions is also mentioned to obtain the desired product.
duchuy
Homework Statement
Please help me find the mechanism
Relevant Equations
x
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-10 at 11.13.49 AM.jpeg
Hi, please help me write the mechanism of this reaction. Usually id have an alpha hydrogen for me to do an internal proton transfer, but in this case i don't know what to do. I know the last step is wrong but i don't know how to obtain a carbonyl orcarboxylic acid form this.
Thank you so much for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Caveat: practically speaking, KMnO4 is quite a strong, non-specific oxidizer, so in real life there’d likely be a mix of products.

That said, I’d focus on the ene side of the enol before the hydroxyl side. KMnO4 operates like periodates when it comes to double bonds.

TeethWhitener said:
Caveat: practically speaking, KMnO4 is quite a strong, non-specific oxidizer, so in real life there’d likely be a mix of products.

That said, I’d focus on the ene side of the enol before the hydroxyl side. KMnO4 operates like periodates when it comes to double bonds.
Thank you for your answer but I am not quite sure i'd know how to write the mechanism if i start with the ene side. Do i still form a ring of 4 or when i break the pi bond, it would go to the more electronegative oxygen?

I can’t quite parse your response, but one of the key steps of permanganate reacting with alkenes is the formation of a 5-member ring containing the manganese.

TeethWhitener said:

Yes, true. I believe the conditions should be cold dilute to make the expected product.

Likes TeethWhitener

1. What is the purpose of using KMnO4 in the oxidation of cyclic enol?

The purpose of using KMnO4 is to act as an oxidizing agent, which means it helps to transfer electrons from the enol to the KMnO4. This results in the conversion of the enol to a more stable carbonyl compound.

2. How does the oxidation of cyclic enol with KMnO4 occur?

The oxidation of cyclic enol with KMnO4 occurs through a series of redox reactions. The KMnO4 molecule gains electrons from the enol, causing it to be reduced. Meanwhile, the enol molecule loses electrons, causing it to be oxidized.

3. What are the products of the oxidation of cyclic enol with KMnO4?

The products of the oxidation of cyclic enol with KMnO4 are a ketone or aldehyde, depending on the structure of the enol. The KMnO4 is reduced to MnO2 in the process.

4. What factors can affect the rate of oxidation of cyclic enol with KMnO4?

The rate of oxidation of cyclic enol with KMnO4 can be affected by various factors such as temperature, concentration of KMnO4, and the presence of other substances that may interfere with the reaction. Additionally, the structure of the enol can also affect the rate of oxidation.

5. What are some applications of the oxidation of cyclic enol with KMnO4 in research or industry?

The oxidation of cyclic enol with KMnO4 has many applications in research and industry. It is commonly used in organic synthesis to convert enols to carbonyl compounds. It is also used in the production of certain chemicals and pharmaceuticals. In research, it can be used to study the reactivity of different enols and the mechanism of redox reactions.