1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

O'Chem keto-enol tautomerization

1. Jan 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a general question about keto-enol mechanisms. In a carbonyl compound, the carbonyl carbon is susceptible to nucleophilic attack. This is clearly different from what happens in base/acid catalyzed keto-enol tautomers. How can nucleophilic attack be avoided in a base solution in order to promote the keto-enol form?

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    When I looked at the examples from my book on keto-enol (a base such as OH- involved), I couldn't help but wonder why that OH- in solution didn't act as a nucleophile instead of abstracting the alpha hydrogen. Why is this and what am I missing here? Does this perhaps have something to do with the acidity of the alpha hydrogens?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2016 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

What product would form if you had a hydroxide react with the carbonyl carbon? What reactions would that product undergo?

4. Feb 1, 2016 #3
    There a lot of complex factors involved in this.

As @Ygggdrasil said, there is no point in the -OH group attacking the carbonyl group because it would simply reform the carbonyl group due to instability. In reality, the correct statement should be that - " The equilibrium constant for this reaction is quite low".

On the other hand, plucking the α-H out could lead to new possibilities. Lets denote the action of plucking of α-H by -OH as Reaction 1 (in short (1)). As most reactions in organic chemistry, this is in equilibrium. Now lets say you have another nucleophilic center in the reaction mixture ( another -CO- group ). The product formed in (1) can now act as a nucleophile for that group. Let this reaction be Reaction 2 (2).

The entire point of this is - The continuous consumption of the product in (1) as reactant in (2) drives the reaction (1) forward (Le-Chatlier's Principle). As a result, this reaction is favorable and we get a corresponding product. If (2) was not there, then (1) would again be in unstable equilibrium, leaving no scope for removal of α-H. Conversely, if the products of (2) are stable, then (1) would be preferred over other possibilities (like attack on carbonyl group).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted