(P.15) Angular Measure expressed in radians

In summary: Click it and type your subscripts. It may take a little practice to get used to it.In summary, equation D (ω = Vt/r) is the only valid equation when the angular measure is expressed in radians because it involves an angle and a linear distance at right angles, which can only be accurately calculated when the angle is measured in radians. The other equations can be measured in different angular units because they only involve angles, not a combination of angles and linear distances.
gcombina
Which equation is valid only when the angular measure is expressed in radians?
a) α = Δθ / Δt

b) ω= Δω / Δt

c) ω^2 = ωo^2 + 2αθ

d) ω = Vt/r (here T is a subscript)

e) θ = 1/2αt^2 + ωαt

Answer is D but why??

* I am totally lost so I can not show work

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So equation D is saying that angular velocity multiplied by the radius is equal to tangent velocity.

Think of an object on a string spinning around in a circle. The length of the string is r (which is the radius of the path of the object). The angular velocity is [itex]\frac{Δθ}{Δt}[/itex] but the tangent velocity is [itex]\frac{length.of.arc .subtended.by.Δθ}{Δt}[/itex]

Multiplying an angle by the radius will give you the length of the arc subtended by that angle ONLY if the angle is measured in radians (that's the definition of the radian, and the reason it's such a useful unit)
That is why that statement is only true if it is measured in radiansHope this was clear

gcombina said:
a) α = Δθ / Δt

b) ω= Δω / Δt

Also shouldn't it be:?

a) ω = Δθ / Δt

b) α = Δω / Δt
P.S.
The reason the other equations don't need to be measured in radians is that they just involve angles, so it doesn't matter if it's radians, degrees, or something else, because the answer will come out in the same angular units.

Equation D is the only one that deals with angles AND (linear) distances.

"The reason the other equations don't need to be measured in radians is that they just involve angles, so it doesn't matter if it's radians, degrees, or something else, because the answer will come out in the same angular units."
(so if something is measured in degrees, the answer will be defaulted into radians?)

Equation D is the only one that deals with angles AND (linear) distances". (I think when something is measured in angles then we have degrees right? so if you say that equation D only deals with angles and linear distances, isn't angles always measured in degrees?)

PS:
Equation D shows angular velocity which is by default measured in radians right? basically that is the hint that I got but still a little confused with these equations.

gcombina said:
Nathanael said:
"The reason the other equations don't need to be measured in radians is that they just involve angles, so it doesn't matter if it's radians, degrees, or something else, because the answer will come out in the same angular units."
(so if something is measured in degrees, the answer will be defaulted into radians?)
No. Nathanael is saying that in an equation like ω = dθ/dt it doesn't matter whether the angles are measured in radians or degrees as long as you are consistent. It's exactly the same with linear distances; the equation v = ds/dt is valid in various units as long as they match: m/s, m and s, or mph, miles and hours, etc. If you were to change units it would multiply both side of the equation by the same factor.
Nathanael said:
Equation D is the only one that deals with angles AND (linear) distances".
(I think when something is measured in angles then we have degrees right?)
No, you can measure angles in degrees or radians, or revolutions, or whatever you care to define.
I take a slightly different view from Nathanael's. To me, what's special about equation D is that on the RHS you have a velocity divided by a distance which is not in the same direction. Indeed, it's at right angles.
Suppose I'm going in a circle radius r at a steady speed v. After time t, I've gone a distance vt. If I divide that by the radius of the circle I get a measure of how far round I've gone, so vt/r is giving that angle in some units. When I've gone distance 2πr I will have gone once around the circle, so the units must be such that an angle of 2π in those units is 360 degrees. This serves to define the unit radian.

Also note that it is important to learn to use subscripts. Vt is the tangential velocity while Vt is just the velocity times time. These are two different things. Use the go advanced button and look for the subscript button that looks like a X2.

1. What is angular measure expressed in radians?

Angular measure expressed in radians is a unit of measurement used to quantify angles in mathematics and physics. It is defined as the ratio of the length of an arc of a circle to the radius of the circle. One radian is equal to the angle subtended by an arc of length equal to the radius of the circle.

2. How is angular measure expressed in radians different from degrees?

Angular measure expressed in radians is different from degrees in terms of the unit of measurement used. Degrees measure angles based on a scale of 360 degrees in a circle, while radians measure angles based on the ratio of the arc length to the radius. Radians are often preferred in mathematical and scientific calculations as they simplify complex equations involving trigonometric functions.

3. Why is angular measure expressed in radians important in science?

Angular measure expressed in radians is important in science because it is a more natural unit of measurement for angles. It is also closely related to the concept of circular motion, making it useful in describing rotational motion and other physical phenomena. Additionally, many mathematical equations and laws are simplified when expressed in radians rather than degrees.

4. Can you convert radians to degrees?

Yes, radians can be converted to degrees by using the formula: degrees = radians x (180/π). Conversely, degrees can be converted to radians using the formula: radians = degrees x (π/180). It is important to note that radians and degrees are not interchangeable and should only be converted when necessary for specific calculations.

5. What are some real-life examples of using angular measure expressed in radians?

Angular measure expressed in radians is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. Some real-life examples include calculating the angle of rotation for a Ferris wheel, determining the position of stars and planets in the sky, and measuring the rate of change in a pendulum's swing. Radians are also used in computer graphics and animation to create smooth and realistic movements.