Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

P&WA Statistics for pattylou

1. Nov 22, 2005 #1

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

PF's been running long enough to make some quantitative statements re. "participation."
    On the homepage you'll see total posts and total threads for each forum: for the science, math, and engineering you'll notice an average of 5 -10 posts per thread; for philosophy, GD, and P&WA you'll notice 20 -30 posts per thread. This isn't noticeably different from a year ago.
    Once you get into the individual fora you see "posts" and "views" for each thread. This ratio will give you a "hint" at participation, or interest, in the thread topics. Science, math, engineering run 30 - 100 views per post. Philosophy and P&WA run 10, maybe a little less. Again, no real change from year or two ago.
    Conclusion? There are small, very active groups of participants in philosophy, and in P&WA.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

What Pattylou's post was referring to was the number of active members posting, not the number of posts.

4. Nov 23, 2005 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In which case, one goes to "Search," inserts one user name at a time, and looks for all posts in P&WA. The data's available, just not in the finished form to answer the question "pl" asked.

I just picked 10 names (not at random), and accounted for 3k of 58k posts; one inactive, no bans, and didn't really look for active time spans. There are all sorts of statistical games to be played with such data; it's a matter of patience vs. how much one really wants to know about P&WA.

5. Nov 23, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I don't know about you guys but it seems like half the things said in the Philosophy section seem to be disguised crackpottery 1+1=3 kinda crap.

6. Nov 23, 2005 #5

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Yeah, it has spilled over since T&D has closed, but this has what to do with the topic of this thread?

7. Nov 23, 2005 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

bystander mentioned the posts in philosophy, I think pengwuino was responding to that.

8. Nov 23, 2005 #7

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Good point.

Anyway, to actually contribute to this thread, I haven't done any statistical analysis, but if I had to guess just based on my own period of registration here, I'd say that the hard science forums have more total participants, but the ones in politics and philosophy tend to be more active. If I had to guess at possible reasons for this, philosophy and politics seem to be topics more conducive to hyperactive discussion. Usually, the science and math sections seem to be one person asks a question and the question is answered. Also worth noting is the simple fact that science is a discipline advanced mostly through experimentation, which cannot take place on a forum. Philosophy and politics, on the other hand, are pretty much theoretical disciplines, and the forum format is very conducive to theorizing, and, of course, to arguing over competing theories. Another thing with politics and philosophy is that the answers just aren't as cut and dry as in math and science, which invites disagreement.

9. Nov 23, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

It seems like outside of PWA adn Philosophy, theres a huge variety of people who contribute to various sections. Inside those subforums however, it's the same people saying the same thing on a daily basis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?