Pair of lines: \determine point of intersection. Please tell me if I am correct.

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking confirmation on the steps they took to determine the point of intersection of two lines. The other person confirms that the steps are correct and explains how the person can check their work by plugging in the values to see if they satisfy both equations. The conversation also highlights the difference between mathematics and other subjects, where in mathematics, one can be their own expert by checking their work.
nukeman

Homework Statement

Ok, I think i got it, but can you all tell me if these are the right/proper steps I must do?

Determine the point of intersection of the following pair of lines:

3x - 7y = 8
2x + 4y = -12

Now, first step is the use the 2nd equation and turn the 2nd equation into:

2x = -12 - 4y
x = -6 - 2y

THEN...subsitute the above date into the 1st equation)

3(-6 - 2y) - 7y = 8

turns into

-18 - 6y - 7y = 8 (just 3 x - 6 and 3 x -2y)

****now I go -6 + -7 = -13y and -18 - 8 = 26

so that then turns into:

-13y = 26

then

y = -2

Correct so far?

NOw for x, we go x = -6-2 (-2) = -2?

so x and y are both -2?

Are those the right steps? is there a better way? Am i correct?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
if you ever want to check just plug x=-2 and y=-2 into your original equations

Yes right, but are the steps I did correct?

Does the point (-2, -2) satisfy both equations; i.e., make both equations true statements? If so, that means that this point is on both lines.

If you have found a point that is on both lines, then it's very unlikely that your steps are wrong.

BTW, your abilities have improved a lot in the last couple of weeks!

Mark44 said:
Does the point (-2, -2) satisfy both equations; i.e., make both equations true statements? If so, that means that this point is on both lines.

If you have found a point that is on both lines, then it's very unlikely that your steps are wrong.

BTW, your abilities have improved a lot in the last couple of weeks!

Right. ye the both satisfy both equations.

Are the steps I did to solve t his correct? I know I got the right answer, but I want to make sure I am doing the steps 100% correct

Yes, your work is correct. The point I'm making is that many times you can tell whether your work is correct by checking it. In this case, since x = -2 and y = -2 satisfy both equation, the point (-2, -2) is on both lines, and you have verified that the point you found is on both lines.

In that sense, algebra and other mathematics courses are different from, say, and English class, where you have to rely on an expert's judgment to determine whether what you have done is right. In mathematics you can be your own expert just by checking the result you found.

1. How do you determine the point of intersection for a pair of lines?

To determine the point of intersection for a pair of lines, you can use the method of substitution or elimination. This involves setting the equations of the lines equal to each other and solving for the variables.

2. Can you explain the method of substitution for finding the point of intersection?

The method of substitution involves setting the equations of the lines equal to each other and solving for one of the variables. Once you have a value for one variable, you can plug it into the other equation and solve for the other variable. This will give you the coordinates of the point of intersection.

3. What is the difference between the method of substitution and elimination for finding the point of intersection?

The method of substitution involves solving for one variable and then plugging it into the other equation, while the method of elimination involves adding or subtracting the equations to eliminate one of the variables. Both methods will give you the same point of intersection.

4. Can you use a graph to find the point of intersection for a pair of lines?

Yes, you can use a graph to find the point of intersection for a pair of lines. Simply plot the two lines on a graph and the point where they intersect will be the point of intersection.

5. How many points of intersection can a pair of lines have?

A pair of lines can have 0, 1, or infinite points of intersection. If the lines are parallel, they will never intersect and have 0 points of intersection. If the lines are the same, they will intersect at every point and have infinite points of intersection. And if the lines intersect at one point, they will have 1 point of intersection.