Pair production via Quantum Tunneling has negative Kinetic energy?

Main Question or Discussion Point

If we have a photon being converted to a positron-electron pair, but we lack enough energy for this to happen (hv<2Me*c^2) but the difference is smaller than the uncertainty amount, such that tunneling may be possible, would the resultant pair have net negative energy? Would tunneling even be possible in this case? Any help appreciated.

Answers and Replies

anuttarasammyak
Gold Member
Hawking radiation would be one along your idea.

PeterDonis
Mentor
Insights Author
2019 Award
a photon being converted to a positron-electron pair
A single photon can't do this in free space, because there is no way for this to happen without violating energy or momentum conservation. You would need a pair of photons.

we lack enough energy for this to happen (hv<2Me*c^2) but the difference is smaller than the uncertainty amount
What "uncertainty amount"?

Likes vanhees71
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
If we have a photon being converted to a positron-electron pair, but we lack enough energy for this to happen (hv<2Me*c^2) but the difference is smaller than the uncertainty amount, such that tunneling may be possible, would the resultant pair have net negative energy? Would tunneling even be possible in this case? Any help appreciated.
This is very puzzling. You're making it sound as if pair production is nothing more than matter-antimatter pair already there and only need to overcome some potential barrier to be liberated. It is no such thing.

Zz.

Likes vanhees71