Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paper Pointing To Danger At LHC?

1. Aug 22, 2008 #1
    Sorry to bug you all, but I have a question to ask. I have a bit of a worrying problem, so when I first heard about the LHC, some of the fear mongering got to me. However, after some research, my worrying nearly ceased. However, I ran into this paper today, and it says there may be a bit of a risk with the LHC. I don't have the knowledge to assess the paper, could someone please explain it to me and tell me if there's any reason to worry? Again, sorry for disturbing a forum full of very intelligent people with my (perhaps trivial) worries.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0808.1415v1

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2008 #2

turbo

Gold Member

The Earth is bombarded with particles of far higher energies than the LHC can produce, and this has been going on for the existence of the Earth - which still seems a pretty habitable place (in most locations). The production and capture of quantum black holes by this method (uncontrolled as it is) has not yet destroyed the planet. I think you can sleep well...

4. Aug 22, 2008 #3
    i think it's a glorious way for this little planet earth to end.

we either move forward and risk death or stagnate.

there is only one option as far as i am concerned...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?