1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel connection between capacitors

1. Aug 26, 2006 #1
    I don't know how to start solving attached problem (3.126 from Irodov) because I can't identify any series or parallel connection between capacitors. I came to an idea that I should "break" capacitor C3 into two capacitors and then get two series and one parallel connections.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2006 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks like it needs a "delta-->Y transformation".
    It is more commonly used for resistors, but also works for capacitors
  4. Aug 29, 2006 #3

Staff: Mentor

The circuit is real and solvable, it just is not conducive to using the usual parallel & series simplification equations.

Try it this way. First solve the simplified version where the components are resistors. Ground the Vb end, and solve for the two middle node voltages as a function of the drive voltage Va. That gives you the inside currents, and that gives you the overall impedance since you know the drive voltage Va. Now just change the components back to capacitors and solve the same equations with the capacitive impedances.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?