1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel Disk Capacitor E field

1. Jan 27, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two 2.4-cm-diameter disks face each other, 1.9 mm apart. They are charged to ± 12 nC .
    What is the electric field strength at the midpoint between the centers of the disks?

2. Relevant equations
    ppcap5.gif

3. The attempt at a solution
    Q=12*10^-9
    A= Pi * r^2 = pi*(.012)^2
    Q/A= (12*10^-9)/(pi*(.012)^2)
    E=(Q/A)/epsilon naught (8.85*10^-12)
    E= 3*10^6

I am not sure where I go wrong, but I have one attempt left and keep getting the same answer

[Edit] answer: 2.7*10^6 but I would appreciate if someone could explain why

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2017 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you checking sig figs and units if entering online?

4. Jan 27, 2017 #3
    Hey student100, I am checking sig figs. It tells me to use 2

5. Jan 27, 2017 #4

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

So you're entering 3.0?

6. Jan 27, 2017 #5
    Yup. I ended up guessing correctly, in an attempt to figure out the second part of the problem and the correct answer was 2.7*10^6 which I do not understand. Any ideas on how it would work out to be that?

7. Jan 27, 2017 #6

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Only thing that comes to mind is that they wanted you to use the percise formula for disks and not approximate them as infinite sheets of charge. Have you tried that?

There size compared to distance of seperation leads me to be skeptical of that however. Are all the numbers presented correct?

8. Jan 27, 2017 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Following Student100's advice, you should find that it does make a difference if you don't approximate the disks as infinite. However, I get 2.8 × 106 N/C rather than 2.7 × 106 N/C.

9. Jan 28, 2017 #8
    All numbers presented are correct.
    I am not sure what you both mean by using the precise formula vs. approximating as an infinite sheet.

10. Jan 28, 2017 #9

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you are taking a "calculus-based" physics course, then a standard example is the electric field of a circular disk.
    http://www.phys.uri.edu/gerhard/PHY204/tsl36.pdf

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted