Parallelepiped only cutting 4 faces vertically

• Thread starter squenshl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cutting
In summary, the speaker is looking for help in creating a rectangular box from a parallelepiped by cutting four faces vertically and rearranging the pieces. The first cut has been done and the remaining three cuts and rearrangement are needed. Another person suggests that if the parallelepiped is regular, two cuts will be enough to create the desired box. However, if the parallelepiped is not regular, more details are needed to determine the necessary cuts.
squenshl
I was just wondering how I can start out with a parallelepiped only cutting 4 faces vertically, at right angles to the edges I cut through & rearrange the pieces so that I can get rectangular box so that the volume is the area of the base times the height. I have done the first cut, a cut vertically down the middle that is perpendicular to the top and bottom then put the right half on the left hand side of the left half, now the new outsides are vertical and the parallel faces are in the middle together. Can someone help me with the 3 remaining cuts and rearranging them to make a rectangular box so the volume of this can be the area of the base times the height.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If it's all regular, you can cut the left, turn it and place it under the right face. Then do the same with front and back. Seems as if two cuts will be enough. Except you have another parallelepiped in mind, in which case we need more details.

1. What is a parallelepiped?

A parallelepiped is a three-dimensional figure with six parallelogram-shaped faces. It is a type of prism, with two parallel and congruent bases that are connected by rectangular faces.

2. How many faces does a parallelepiped have?

A parallelepiped has six faces. These faces are all parallelograms and are named based on their position - top, bottom, front, back, left, and right.

3. What does it mean to cut 4 faces vertically?

When we say "cut 4 faces vertically" in the context of a parallelepiped, it means to make a straight cut through four of the six faces, from top to bottom. This results in two separate pieces, with the remaining two faces acting as the bases of each piece.

4. Can a parallelepiped be cut into more than two pieces by cutting 4 faces vertically?

No, cutting 4 faces vertically will always result in two separate pieces. This is because the parallelepiped has six faces, and cutting four of them will leave only two faces to act as the bases of each piece.

5. What is the significance of cutting a parallelepiped only 4 faces vertically?

Cutting a parallelepiped only 4 faces vertically can be useful in certain situations, such as when trying to create two equal-sized pieces or when trying to create a specific shape or angle in the cut. It is also a common technique in woodworking and other forms of construction.