1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric and symmetric equations

1. Feb 12, 2008 #1

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Find the parametric and symmetric equations of the line of intersection of the planes x+y+z=1 and x+z=0.

I got the normal vectors, <1,1,1> and <1,0,1> and their cross product <1,0,-1> or i-k.

I set z to 0 and got x=0, y=1, z=0.

How do I form parametric equation out of this?? I know it's x=t, y=1, z=-t because this problem is nearly identical to one from lecture. But how did he do that step?

This would make the symmetric equations x/1=y-1/0=z/-1. But I can't divide by 0, can I?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2008 #2
    You set z = 0.

[tex]\pi_1: x+y=1[/tex]
    [tex]\pi_2: x=0[/tex]

The equation of the line is given by: [tex]\overrightarrow{r}=\overrightarrow{r}_0+t\overrightarrow{v}[/tex]

And we know that the cross product of the two normal vectors of the plane is parallel to the line of intersection.

Since we don't write 0 under the denominator.

If [tex]x=x_0, y=y_0[/tex] vertical plane and [tex]z=z_0[/tex] horizontal plane.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  4. Feb 12, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the explanation.

I don't get this:
    [tex]\pi_2: x=1[/tex]
    If x+z=0 and I set z=0, then x+0=0. x=0 and 0+y+0=1, so y=1, hence P(0,1,0)
  5. Feb 13, 2008 #4
    Oh my. Sorry, I'm blind! I fixed it though.
  6. Feb 13, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks. You explanation makes sense now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?