Parametric Equations for Curve y = 2 - 7x^3 at Point (0,2,25)

  • Thread starter Thread starter -EquinoX-
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curve
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
-EquinoX-
Messages
561
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Find parametric equations for the curve y = 2 - 7x3 through the point (0, 2, 25), parallel to the xy-plane.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



The answer is:
x(t) = t
y(t) = 2-7t^3
z(t) = 25

but I don't know how to get there. Any help please?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the problem? It looks like they want you to take the curve y=2-7x^3 in the x-y (z=0) plane and translate up to the z=25 plane and express in parametric form. This is far from the hardest problem you've posted.
 
well.. I don't know how to get the parametric equations from this..
 
Here's a 'simpler' example. The curve is y^2=x in the plane. Pick t=y. Then y(t)=t and x(t)=y(t)^2=t^2 is the parametric version.
 
-EquinoX- said:
I know how to do y^2

How is your problem different?