1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find parametric equations for the tangent line

1. Sep 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve with the given parametric equations at the specified point.

2. Relevant equations

[tex] x = 1+2 \sqrt{t}, \quad y = t^3 - t, \quad z = t^3 + t, \quad (3, 0, 2) [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I began by re-writing this as [tex] \vec{r}(t) = <1+2 \sqrt{t}, \quad t^3 - t, \quad t^3 + t > [/tex]
    and then taking the derivative to find the normal vector: [tex] \vec{r}(t) = <1/ \sqrt{t}, \quad 3t^2 - 1, \quad 3t^2 + 1> [/tex]. From here, I tried plugging in (3, 0, 2) into each of the components for the derivative, but that hasn't worked. I think I need to find a value to use for "t" and then put that into the normal vector, but I am not sure how.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Part of your problem may be you are calling both the original equation and its derivative ##r(t)##. Find the ##t## that makes the original equation pass through ##(3,0,2)##.

4. Sep 8, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please distinguish between ##\vec{r}(t)## and ##\vec{r}'(t)##, which is your second one. Anyway ##\vec{r}'(t)## is NOT a "normal vector"! Can you describe what it actually IS?

5. Sep 8, 2014 #4
    I made a mistake. I meant to say tangent vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted