Find parametric equations for the tangent line

In summary: The tangent vector at a point is the derivative of the position vector with respect to t evaluated at that point. So in this case, the tangent vector at (3, 0, 2) would be <1/ \sqrt{3}, 17, 19>.
Yae Miteo

Homework Statement

Find parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve with the given parametric equations at the specified point.

Homework Equations

[tex] x = 1+2 \sqrt{t}, \quad y = t^3 - t, \quad z = t^3 + t, \quad (3, 0, 2) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by re-writing this as [tex] \vec{r}(t) = <1+2 \sqrt{t}, \quad t^3 - t, \quad t^3 + t > [/tex]
and then taking the derivative to find the normal vector: [tex] \vec{r}(t) = <1/ \sqrt{t}, \quad 3t^2 - 1, \quad 3t^2 + 1> [/tex]. From here, I tried plugging in (3, 0, 2) into each of the components for the derivative, but that hasn't worked. I think I need to find a value to use for "t" and then put that into the normal vector, but I am not sure how.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yae Miteo said:

Homework Statement

Find parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve with the given parametric equations at the specified point.

Homework Equations

[tex] x = 1+2 \sqrt{t}, \quad y = t^3 - t, \quad z = t^3 + t, \quad (3, 0, 2) [/tex]

I began by re-writing this as [tex] \vec{r}(t) = <1+2 \sqrt{t}, \quad t^3 - t, \quad t^3 + t > [/tex]
and then taking the derivative to find the normal vector: [tex] \vec{r}(t) = <1/ \sqrt{t}, \quad 3t^2 - 1, \quad 3t^2 + 1> [/tex]. From here, I tried plugging in (3, 0, 2) into each of the components for the derivative, but that hasn't worked. I think I need to find a value to use for "t" and then put that into the normal vector, but I am not sure how.

Part of your problem may be you are calling both the original equation and its derivative ##r(t)##. Find the ##t## that makes the original equation pass through ##(3,0,2)##.

Yae Miteo said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Please distinguish between ##\vec{r}(t)## and ##\vec{r}'(t)##, which is your second one. Anyway ##\vec{r}'(t)## is NOT a "normal vector"! Can you describe what it actually IS?

I made a mistake. I meant to say tangent vector.

1. What are parametric equations for a tangent line?

Parametric equations for a tangent line are a set of equations that describe the coordinates of a point on a curve in terms of a parameter, typically denoted as t. These equations can be used to calculate the slope and y-intercept of the tangent line at any given point on the curve.

2. How do you find the parametric equations for a tangent line?

To find the parametric equations for a tangent line, you first need to determine the coordinates of the point on the curve where the tangent line intersects. Then, you can use the derivative of the curve at that point to calculate the slope of the tangent line. Finally, you can use the point-slope form of a line to find the equation of the tangent line.

3. Why are parametric equations used for tangent lines?

Parametric equations are used for tangent lines because they provide a way to describe the coordinates of a point on a curve in terms of a single parameter, making it easier to calculate the slope and y-intercept of the tangent line. They also allow for more flexibility in representing curves that cannot be easily described by traditional equations.

4. Can parametric equations be used for any type of curve?

Yes, parametric equations can be used for any type of curve, including circles, ellipses, parabolas, and more complex curves. As long as the curve can be described by a set of coordinates in terms of a parameter, parametric equations can be used to find the tangent line at any point on the curve.

5. Are there any limitations to using parametric equations for tangent lines?

One limitation of using parametric equations for tangent lines is that they can be more complex and difficult to work with compared to traditional equations. They also require knowledge of calculus and derivatives in order to find the slope of the tangent line. Additionally, they may not always provide an accurate representation of the curve, especially for curves with sharp turns or discontinuities.