1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametrization of implicit curve

1. Sep 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]y^2 + 3x - x^3 = C, C\in\mathbb{R}\setminus\{0\}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Keeping in mind that ##\cos ^2\alpha + \sin ^2\alpha = 1##
    I would go about it
    [tex]\left (\frac{y}{\sqrt{C}}\right )^2 + \left (\frac{\sqrt{3x-x^3}}{\sqrt{C}}\right )^2 = 1 [/tex]
    would then?
    for some interval for ##t##
    ##\sin t = \frac{y}{\sqrt{C}}##
    ##\cos t = \frac{\sqrt{3x-x^3}}{\sqrt{C}}##
    this doesn't look so good, can't get anywhere with it

I can't remember this part at all and every piece of parametrization I have been able to google is either for explicit curves or obvious identity parametrizations, in other words, not very helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2015 #2

verty

Homework Helper

Obs. 1: This curve is symmetrical about the x-axis.
    Obs. 2: ##3x - x^3## slopes positively at the origin. It also has the general shape, down-up-down.

Let ##z = y^2##, ##3x - x^3 = C - z##.

Obs. 3: ##C - z## is the ##y## intercept, ##z## moves the graph down. The question being asked is, what are the x-intercepts when the y intercept is C-z.

Essentially, we are placing the x-axis at ##y = C##, mirroring the part below the axis to above the axis, and applying a square-root transformation. When ##y = 4##, ##z = 16##, etc. It all gets squashed.

So looking at that, I don't see how you could hope to parametrize it.

4. Sep 26, 2015 #3
    Hmm, from what you say I gather there are a number of criteria for a curve to be "parametrizable".

5. Sep 26, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Before attempting to parametrize the curve (if possible), try to understand it first. For example, if you take ##C = 1## you have two curves
    [tex] y = \sqrt{ x^3 - 3 x + 1} \;\;\; \text{(Curve C1)} [/tex]
    and
    [tex] y = - \sqrt{ x^3 - 3 x + 1} \;\;\; \text{(Curve C2)} [/tex]

If ##x_1, x_2, x_3## are the real roots of ##f(x) = x^3 - 3 x + 1##, we have ##x_1 = -1.879385242##, ##x_2 = 0.3472963553## and ##x_3 = 1.532088886##. We have ##f(x) > 0## on ##(x_1,x_2)## and on ##(x_3 \infty)##, so the values of ##y## are real on those two intervals. Thus, there are really two pairs of (C1,C2) curves, one pair for ##x_1 \leq x \leq x_2## and another pair for ##x \geq x_3##. All the curves satisfy ##y = 0## at ##x = x_1, x_2, x_3##. Somehow, any parametrization you cook up would need to recognize all those issues.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted