Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parity Violation in Weak Decay

1. Dec 29, 2012 #1
    I just came across the following Quote in an introductory Quantum physics book"There are certain experiments in which behave differently in their mirror image form, this is called the Parity Violation in." Can anybody explain in detail what parity violation is and what mathematical description is used for it. I just had an introductory level course in Quantum Mechanics so Can this be a hard thing to understand mathematically ? I remember having possibly coming across something called a Right Handed Particle & a Left Handed Particle in this Context. Can anybody detail this as well (if my terminology is correct):redface:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Parity and parity violation is too much to explain in detail in forum posts, books would be better.
    A simple example of parity violation is the Wu experiment.

4. Dec 29, 2012 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

5. Dec 30, 2012 #4
    yes,it is hard to understand it mathematically.Parity is conserved with electromagnetic interaction but it is not the case with weak decay.The neutrinos for example in weak decay has a certain chirality i.e. neutrino and antineutrino comes with direction of spin opposite always in weak decay.So now it is possible to differentiate between a mirror image world and say real world.you can tell which hand is right and which is left.The mathematics of it has to do with some historical remarks which was used first by fermi to write an interaction hamiltonian for weak decay.After too many years it became accepted as V-A theory which does not conserve parity.it has property that it uses two component spinors which corresponds to a particular hand however it can be written in terms of 4 spinors

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook