Parity violation in weak decays

In summary, Wu's famous experiment demonstrated that parity is violated in weak decays, but it's still necessary to conserve it when doing a course problem on nuclear β-decay.
JoePhysicsNut

Homework Statement

I am confused about parity violation in weak decays. I learned about Wu's famous experiment and how it demonstrates that parity is violated in weak decays.

However, when I am doing a course problem on nuclear β-decay, then it still necessary to conserve parity.

Homework Equations

As an example, consider the
[itex]La_{57} (J^P=2^-)[/itex] → [itex]Ce_{58} (J^P=0^+)[/itex] decay, where I am asked to figure out what the angular momentum and spin state of the electron-neutrino system is.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the right answer, when I require [itex]l=1[/itex] as this carries [itex]P=-1[/itex] and [itex]S_{enu}=1[/itex] to conserve angular momentum overall.

So my question is, why I am requiring parity to be conserved in nuclear β-decay when parity is violated for weak decays?

Physics news on Phys.org
JoePhysicsNut said:

Homework Statement

I am confused about parity violation in weak decays. I learned about Wu's famous experiment and how it demonstrates that parity is violated in weak decays.

However, when I am doing a course problem on nuclear β-decay, then it still necessary to conserve parity.

Homework Equations

As an example, consider the
[itex]La_{57} (J^P=2^-)[/itex] → [itex]Ce_{58} (J^P=0^+)[/itex] decay, where I am asked to figure out what the angular momentum and spin state of the electron-neutrino system is.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the right answer, when I require [itex]l=1[/itex] as this carries [itex]P=-1[/itex] and [itex]S_{enu}=1[/itex] to conserve angular momentum overall.

So my question is, why I am requiring parity to be conserved in nuclear β-decay when parity is violated for weak decays?

Because parity is usually NOT violated. The exception doesn't make the rule. Even then it's not violated by much. Only certain cases in the quark mixing matrix will you get any significant violation at all. That's why it took till 1956 to discover. It's a perfectly fine approximate symmetry.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Because parity is usually NOT violated. The exception doesn't make the rule. Even then it's not violated by much. Only certain cases in the quark mixing matrix will you get any significant violation at all. That's why it took till 1956 to discover. It's a perfectly fine approximate symmetry.

But in Wu's experiment, ALL the electrons come out in one direction making parity MAXIMALLY violated.

JoePhysicsNut said:
But in Wu's experiment, ALL the electrons come out in one direction making parity MAXIMALLY violated.

Oh heck. I was thinking about CP violation. Different thing. Sorry!

Parity violation in weak decays refers to the fact that the weak interaction does not conserve parity symmetry, meaning that the mirror image of a particle and its antiparticle do not behave the same way under the weak force. This was first observed in Wu's experiment, where the beta decay of cobalt-60 showed a preference for electrons to be emitted in a certain direction, violating the expected symmetry.

However, this does not mean that parity is completely ignored in weak decays. In fact, parity conservation is still necessary in many cases, such as the nuclear beta decay that you mentioned. This is because while the weak interaction itself may not conserve parity, the overall interaction still needs to obey other conservation laws, such as angular momentum. In your example, requiring l=1 for the electron-neutrino system ensures that the overall angular momentum is conserved, even though parity is not.

So while parity violation in weak decays is an important concept in understanding the fundamental forces of nature, it does not mean that parity is completely disregarded in all cases. It is still necessary to consider other conservation laws in order to fully understand and predict the behavior of particles in these interactions.

What is parity violation in weak decays?

Parity violation in weak decays is a phenomenon in particle physics where the laws of symmetry between left and right directions are broken. In other words, the mirror image of a particle's decay does not behave in the same way as the original particle.

What causes parity violation in weak decays?

Parity violation in weak decays is caused by the weak nuclear force, one of the four fundamental forces in nature. This force is responsible for radioactive decay and interactions between subatomic particles.

How was parity violation in weak decays discovered?

The discovery of parity violation in weak decays was made in 1956 by physicists Chien-Shiung Wu, Tsung-Dao Lee, and Chen-Ning Yang. They observed that the particles produced in certain types of weak decays did not behave symmetrically in left and right directions, which was contrary to what was expected based on the laws of physics at the time.

What are the implications of parity violation in weak decays?

The discovery of parity violation in weak decays had significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics. It led to the development of the Standard Model, which explains the behavior of particles and their interactions in the universe. It also helped to confirm the existence of the weak nuclear force and its role in radioactive decay.

How is parity violation in weak decays studied?

Scientists study parity violation in weak decays by conducting experiments with subatomic particles, such as protons and neutrons. These experiments involve observing the decay products of these particles and analyzing their properties to determine if parity violation has occurred. The results of these experiments help to refine our understanding of the laws of physics and the fundamental forces that govern the universe.