Partial Density Homework: Integrate Momentum in Navier-Stokes

In summary, the conversation is about integrating the momentum equation in the Navier-Stokes equations and verifying the correct density formulation for a two-phase mixture. The ideal gas law and the sum of partial pressures are used to find an equation for total density in terms of partial densities, with the equation being total density = partial density of air * gas constant of air + partial density of vapor * gas constant of vapor / total gas constant. There is some uncertainty about the equation, but it is eventually verified to be correct.
womfalcs3

Homework Statement

I am trying to integrate the momentum equation in the Navier-Stokes equations, and I need to make sure I have the density formulation correct. I'm unsure of my work because a lot of the terms in the end are canceling out.

It's a two-phase mixture, so the sum of the partial pressures is:

P = P_a+P_v

Where a and v denote air and vapor, respectively.

Homework Equations

Ideal gas law

density=P/(R_gas*T)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the sum of partial pressures, I'm getting this for total density:

[tex]\rho[/tex]=[tex]\rho_{a}*R_{a}/R[/tex]+[tex]\rho_{v}*R_{v}/R[/tex]

Where R is the total gas constant.I am trying to find an equation for the total density in terms of the partial densities.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the total density relation to the partial densities look correct?

Intuitively, I was thinking total rho = rho_a + rho_v, but the equation, obviously doesn't support that.

EDIT:I realize the images are big. I'm the process of scaling them down and re-uploading them.

EDIT 2: Re-hosted and included updated images.

I apologize for the bump, but can somebody please just go through this formulation and verify my work?

It seems I am in fact eventually getting total density being the sum of partial densities.

That kind of makes sense given Dalton's Law, but the specific gas constants throw my intuitive thinking off.

2lx9kjd.jpg

2rygj75.jpg

1038igj.jpg

1. What is the purpose of integrating momentum in the Navier-Stokes equation?

The purpose of integrating momentum in the Navier-Stokes equation is to determine the velocity and pressure distribution of a fluid flow. This allows for the prediction of fluid behavior and can be used to model and design various fluid systems.

2. What does partial density refer to in this context?

Partial density refers to the density of a specific component of a fluid mixture. In the Navier-Stokes equation, the partial density is used to calculate the momentum change of a specific component of the fluid flow.

3. How is momentum integrated in the Navier-Stokes equation?

Momentum is integrated in the Navier-Stokes equation through the use of the continuity equation and the momentum equation. The continuity equation calculates the change in mass flow rate, while the momentum equation calculates the change in momentum due to pressure and viscous forces.

4. What is the importance of considering viscosity in the momentum integration process?

Viscosity is an important factor to consider in the momentum integration process because it determines the resistance of a fluid to flow. This resistance can significantly affect the momentum and velocity distribution of a fluid flow and must be accounted for in order to accurately model and predict fluid behavior.

5. How is the integration of momentum in the Navier-Stokes equation applied in real-world situations?

The integration of momentum in the Navier-Stokes equation is applied in various real-world situations, such as the design and optimization of pipelines, pumps, and turbines. It is also used in the study of weather patterns and ocean currents, as well as in the development of new technologies for fluid transportation and processing.