Partial derivative exists at origin but not continuous there

In summary, I always see the example of a function where the partial derivatives exist at the origin but are not continuous there. However, I have a difficult time wrapping my head around this and was hoping someone could check my logic.
mathFun
I always see the example

f(x,y)={xy/(x2+y2) if (x,y) =/= (0,0) and 0 if (x,y)=(0,0)}

given as the example of a function where the partial derivatives exist at the origin but are not continuous there. I have a difficult time wrapping my head around this and was hoping someone could check my logic.

Now let's consider the partial derivatives fx and fy

fx = [3x2y + y3]/(x2+y2)2 if (x,y)=/=(0,0) and 0 if (x,y) = (0,0)

Defining it piecewise like this means fx is defined at the origin, but its not continuous at the origin because of the same problem: it isn't continuous because say we approach the origin from the x axis, then this is 0, but if we approach it from the y axis, then the limit doesn't exist because you get lim x-->(0,0) 1/y = ∞. So its not continuous here because the limits don't match.

One problem is I have a difficult time understanding why the partials exist though. Because the original function f(x,y) isn't continuous at the origin. For example, if you approach the origin from the parabola y=x2, you get lim (x,y)--> (0,0) [x3/(x2+x4)] (we end up using L'Hopitals Rule since this is 0/0 indeterminate, and eventually end up with the limit going to infinity because the largest power is in the denominator). So it doesn't seem like the limit of the original function exists at the origin, which would mean its not continuous at the origin, which would mean the derivatives don't exist at the origin right? Because being continuous is essential to being differentiable? Is being continuous essential to being partial differentiable?

I'm so confused!

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to think that if the partial derivatives exist at a point, that the function must be continuous there. This is not true. And your example is a counterexample for that.

We do have the following results:
  • If a function is differentiable at a point, then it is continuous.
  • If the partial derivatives exists at a point and are continuous there, then the function is differentiable at that point and the function is continuous there.

With differentiable, I mean that the Frechet derivative exists: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fréchet_derivative (although multivariable calculus courses use the term Frechet derivatives, but will simply speak of differentiable functions).

I think I am finally seeing why I was so confused before. I kept thinking "partial derivative exists at c" and that sounded so strong to me, as though the function were differentiable at c. But the analogue to 2D of a partial derivative existing is more like saying the one sided limit exists, since a partial derivative is just a directional derivative. It doesn't give the whole picture of what's going on.So just like in 2D, in order for a function to be differentiable at a point c, both sides of the limit of the difference equation have to exist and be equal. Similarly, I am assuming in 3D, every direction derivative (including f_x and f_y then) would have to exist and be equal. Is that more along the lines?

dumbQuestion said:
I think I am finally seeing why I was so confused before. I kept thinking "partial derivative exists at c" and that sounded so strong to me, as though the function were differentiable at c. But the analogue to 2D of a partial derivative existing is more like saying the one sided limit exists, since a partial derivative is just a directional derivative. It doesn't give the whole picture of what's going on.

So just like in 2D, in order for a function to be differentiable at a point c, both sides of the limit of the difference equation have to exist and be equal. Similarly, I am assuming in 3D, every direction derivative (including f_x and f_y then) would have to exist and be equal. Is that more along the lines?

I'm afraid not, things in 3D get very weird. The following link contains an example of a discontinuous functions whose directional derivatives exists and are equal.

http://calculus.subwiki.org/wiki/Ex...in_every_direction_not_implies_differentiable

hmm... I guess I got to just keep thinking about this and eventually it will make sense. :/

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is typically denoted by ∂f/∂x, where f is the function and x is the variable.

2. Why does a partial derivative exist at the origin but not continuous there?

A partial derivative exists at the origin because it is defined as the limit of the function as the variable approaches a certain point. However, it is not continuous at the origin because the function may not be defined at that point or may have a jump or discontinuity.

3. Can a function have a partial derivative that is not continuous at the origin?

Yes, a function can have a partial derivative that is not continuous at the origin. This is because a function can be defined and have a limit at a certain point, but still have a discontinuity or undefined value at that point.

4. How can we determine if a partial derivative is continuous at the origin?

In order for a partial derivative to be continuous at the origin, the function must be defined and have a limit at the origin, and the limit must be equal to the value of the function at the origin. If any of these conditions are not met, the partial derivative will not be continuous at the origin.

5. Are there any real-world applications of a partial derivative that is not continuous at the origin?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of a partial derivative that is not continuous at the origin. For example, in physics, the partial derivative of position with respect to time can be used to calculate velocity, but if there is a sudden change in position (i.e. a discontinuity), the derivative will not be continuous at that point. This can also apply to other fields such as economics and engineering.